At what point do you decide you forgot priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
I've got a Fat Tire Clone that is absolutely delicious. Its my 12th beer and I'm very happy with it. I bottled it right before I went on Vacation - at the end of January. Most of my beers carb in a week or 2 and are ready to drink after 3. I'm 3 weeks in, popped a sample and - nothing. Flat as ever. I would just let it go forever, but this is a good beer and we have a local homebrew competition - I have to get my entry in by the end of next week. I'd love to put this beer in but I dont' think it's carbing.
Thoughts?
I can be patient but I may need to drop some carb drops in a few.
We shall see!
Thanks
-Tom

You should have some signs of carbing by now so I would definatley drop in some carb tabs or whatever you like.

My last beer I bottled half then realized I forgot the suger, so I uncapped them and poured them back in the bucket and redid it.

There are two tests you can do:

1.) Pop open a bottle and taste it. If it's sweet, it's primed. If it's dry, then it's not.
2.) Pop open another bottle, and throw four carb tabs in. If nothing happens, it's not primed. If it gushes, then it is.

Both excellent ideas. The beer actually does taste a bit more malty than it should so I'll just be patient.
Thanks!
There are two tests you can do:

1.) Pop open a bottle and taste it. If it's sweet, it's primed. If it's dry, then it's not.
2.) Pop open another bottle, and throw four carb tabs in. If nothing happens, it's not primed. If it gushes, then it is.

I have the exact same problem with an ale I bollted over 4 weeks ago only I know for a fact that I put the priming sugar in and I always mix it well and it also has a sweet taste. Can't figure it out, but everyone tells me to be patient. How long is too long? It is still flat. This was the first time I have used a secondary and after only a week in the primay. Maybe 2 weeks in the secondary wiped out my yeast? I don't mind waiting if it only takes time, I just have a bad feeling about this one. Plus I have already downed a 12er since it tastes so good!

I have the exact same problem with an ale I bollted over 4 weeks ago only I know for a fact that I put the priming sugar in and I always mix it well and it also has a sweet taste. Can't figure it out, but everyone tells me to be patient. How long is too long? It is still flat. This was the first time I have used a secondary and after only a week in the primay. Maybe 2 weeks in the secondary wiped out my yeast? I don't mind waiting if it only takes time, I just have a bad feeling about this one. Plus I have already downed a 12er since it tastes so good!

Two weeks in secondary shouldn't make a difference, but if you are impatient you can always add an alcohol-tolerant dry yeast to the bottles, re-cap them, and then agitate them every few days. Be very careful to minimize oxygen exposure, and consider O2-absorbing caps if you decide to do this. Also, store the bottles in the mid-70s to lower 80s until carbonated.

I bottled it right before I went on Vacation -
-Tom

Maybe you did what I do, turn down the heat while on vacation, since the house is empty. Beer takes longer to carb when that temp goes down below the 70 degree happy zone.

It sounds like the real problem is making sure you still have some left by the time the competition starts!

Mike

I've never had a beer NOT carb up by 8 weeks or so....If the temp is even a few degrees below 70, it's gonna slow the process down...So my answer would be I would think that after 8 weeks I might have forgotten to but sugar it it..

BUT conceivably, according to some old books, and even running numbers in beersmith, you can have a beer carb up even without adding any more sugar....but it takes a heck of a lot of time for it to happen.

Good luck man, I hope it carbs up. I've got a newly bottled pale ale I want to send to AWOG, it's gonna be close, but the hop aroma is killer and I want it judged fresh.

So I shall see you at AWOG then? I'll be the guy with 4.5 beers hahaha.

Good luck man, I hope it carbs up. I've got a newly bottled pale ale I want to send to AWOG, it's gonna be close, but the hop aroma is killer and I want it judged fresh.

I'm gonna try and make it to the banquet. It will be my first comp, and sadly I only have one beer ready. I didn't realize how big a homebrewing community exist in Buffalo!

Back