at least 3 batches have gone south

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
hey everyone, i thought i was the man by putting away cases of some extract brews that i had made from october through january- turns out at least 2 of them have turned - cant stomache them, i remember at least 3 months ago they were for the most part yummy, one especially so, but now 2 (that i know of) have this stomache churning un-beer-ness to them combined with a yuck grit chemicalyness, uurhuhhhuhuhhhhhhhh gimme the chills, i had to dump 2 of 3 samples i just took. the way i can describe it is a barf flavor to them making me want to barf very hard. lacing down the sides of my glass was incredible looking tho.
its a damn shame, but im going to have to pitch this swill,

also on sample 3, which was palatable, an arrogant bastard clone, the biting-the-throat hop kick has very much subsided and this beer has turned into something new entirely, hops mellowed a ton, its interesting...

That sucks, but I feel your pain......I have been pretty fortunate its been a while since I had to dump a batch, oh I made an oatmeal stout this year I had to dump... Kinda strange that in the beginning they were yummy, then turned to puke......Sounds like one of my late night parties.....
Slow contamination maybe......
Did you try a few other bottles to be sure its not a bottle problem....
A while back this was happening to me I could not getting anything to come out.....I was told to take everything I had take it apart, clean with PBW, and replace all my hoses......I did notice some funk in my mashtun valve.....
After I replaced my hoses, cleaned everything and kept my ferment temp down to 68F, I have dumped 1 out of 15 batches.....
I wish you all the luck

If it is a lighter beer (gravity) I tend to drink it quickly. If it is a heavier beer, then I tend to age for awhile. I have drank a stout over a year period before. I had a strong belgian ale that I found a bottle that had been though a move in 2005 and sat in a box in my garage until last month. I chilled it and drank it. It was much better than when it was young. It was an extract kit with too much candi sugar added.

If you do not practice good sanitary methods and keep your hands sanitary too you will have infected beer. When I used to bottle I learned that inspection of each bottle (in a strong light) was necessary because it is hard to clean them if they were not rinsed after drinking them. A good overnight soak (PBW or Cascade dishwasher detergent) will loosen the hard deposits in a bottle but you must still inspect each one after brushing and rinsing. This is where a lot of new brewers fail. The beer was OK but the bottles infected the beer. Anything that touches the beer must be sanitized and I use Starsan which works very well in a spray bottle too.

Back