Assistant Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmascity

Reaction score
Hey everybody I have an interview tomm for an assistant brewer job at a brewpub, any advice on how to nail the interview? Also what can I ask for or expect? Meaning, some places offer free beer and food, health insurance, 401k? It's not that I haven't had plently of interviews in the past and done well, just wanted to be extra prepaired for this one, because it's a really good job.

People get hired by the questions they ask more so than the answers they give. Have some good ones ready.

Show a strong desire to clean.

i wouldn't ask, "do i get free beer?" i would ask about any benefits tho, 401k, ins.

bend is right, ask plenty of questions, process/business related. bring some homebrew.

Do you mean questions like the ones below or could you give an example or two...
How long does it take to settle on a recipe for commercial production?
How long does a typical brew session take? What is a typical brew day like?
Do you adjust the water (use water modifiers) for the different styles or just go with the local water source?
What type of yeast do you use and how do you maintain your culture, and do you reuse the yeast, as in growing cultures?
What do you see in the future for you and your company, do you intend to grow and ware were you thinking?

These are examples of questions that we supply to our candidates. (I am a corporate recruiter.) Obviously you wouldn't ask them all, but 3-5 good questions that make your interviewer think.

1. How would you describe your corporation?

2. Have there been any significant management changes in the past five years?

3. Is your company’s management philosophy structured?

4. What do you consider the company’s strengths and weaknesses?

5. What makes your firm different from its competitors?

6. What are the company’s future plans and goals?

7. What industry trends will occur in this company?

8. How has this company fared during the recent recession?

9. What attracted you to this organization?

10. Why do you enjoy working for your firm?

11. Describe the work environment?

12. What kind of career opportunities are currently available for my degree and skills?

13. Tell me about your initial and future training programs.

14. Describe the typical first year assignments.

15. What are the challenging facets of the job?

16. How many people held this job in the last five years?

17. Is the person who held this job last still with the company?

18. Describe your company’s philosophy of promoting candidates from within?

Be VERY careful about asking questions about benefits/compensation/perks. Most of those questions should wait until a 2nd interview or job offer. For a first interview, you don't want to come across like, "what can you do for me?"... you want to show them what you can do for them.

Back