Asphalt Vs. Concrete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
Well I think it is time to repave my driveway. I also plan to expand it slightly so it could fit two cars side by side.

It is currently asphalt that has several large holes in it and is sinking in spots. I'm thinking I should have it all ripped up and replaced.

Generally asphalt has been cheaper and if taken care of will last quite a while, I have not gotten price quotes yet but I have heard that due to the oil prices that asphalt is not such a deal anymore and that concrete is getting very competative. Also concrete is less maintenance and can be driven on sooner, cleaner (won't track in black crap) etc.

What experiences have you all had with the differing surfaces? Should I get concrete and have it stained as well?

They are not quite the same yet but are approaching each other from a pure cost perspective. You probably going to pay around $25 sy for concrete and can probably get asphalt for around $18 sy. Make sure you take into account the long term durability of concrete though and how long you plan on staying where you are.

Concrete is very tough. It is also much easier to care for. The only down side is that you dont' get the Ice Melting Benefit of Black Asphalt.

You can have the surface of the concrete stained dark grey/charcoal in order to get the same benefits. Plus, the contractor could stamp custom surface features to simulate stone or pavers.

Maybe pick a stain color to complement your house colors.

I think concrete, when done right (expansion joints, etc.), is better than asphalt. Though, there isn't anything wrong with asphalt. Historically, asphalt is way cheaper, which is why it is used more. Stained concrete is going to be significantly more expensive compared to regular concrete. I would compare prices and make sure you get a good contractor... shop around, ask around... and make sure you include the appropriate substrate in the price (stone). The lowest bid may not be the best. Some contractors will just compact the soil and put the asphalt/concrete right on that and it will sink over time giving you cracks/sink-holes and a protruding culvert pipe.

You can have the surface of the concrete stained dark grey/charcoal in order to get the same benefits. Plus, the contractor could stamp custom surface features to simulate stone or pavers.

Maybe pick a stain color to complement your house colors.

+1 Concrete has a lot of flexibility in stains and stamps. You can also epoxy coat parking areas. Not sure how hot it gets in your area but asphalt can get soft in the summer time if it's hot enough.

Since it's "Filling in the cracks in the asphalt roads" month up here, it re-enforces my bias against the stuff. I'd never make a driveway out of it. Most places I've lived, you were not allowed to use it anyway.

If you plan on being in the house longer than asphalt is likely to last, concrete is the way to go.

I'm not sure how long I plan to be in the house. We may move out into the country in 3-5 years depending on how things work out, but I do really like my house, just not a suburb guy at heart.

I think concrete would increase the value of the home in the long run though, especially if put down right as you all have said. I need to find someone that does it right with a good base for the concrete, not sure where to get recommendations on that.

I like the idea of stain and will ask about that when I get a quote, I'm not sure about stamping in designs though as I still need to be able to shovel it easily in the winter.

I currently have an asphalt driveway and I don't know how soft it really gets in the summer, but the place where my car is parked all the time has sunk down a few inches due to the constant weight, I don't think concrete would do that. Guess I just need to get someone out for some estimates.

I purchased a house with a parking spot that doubles as a b-ball court, but the driveway to it is asphalt.

The asphalt is beginning to break up. When it does it's being replaced with cement.

It'll be a lot easier to clear with the snow thrower. ;)

Lots of people going for concrete here.
splitrok1x.jpg

Whwther it's asphalt or concrete if the sub-base isn;t done right it will settle unevenly. Asphalt makes sink holes and concrete cracks.

Concrete is guaranteed to crack so, plan on plenty of control joints and you will minimalize the appearance of cracks.

Can you say "RE-BAR"?;)

Unless you build it entirely out of steel, it's still gonna crack. The re-bar will just help keep it from opening up. Being out doors, the cracks will get filled with water and the freezing will cause the surface to spall more and more over time.

A properly compacted sub-base is still a necessity. If that is bad, all the re-bar in the worl wont save the drive from looking like crap. :D

Call your local contractors association to get a recommendation on reputable contractor in your area that might do work like this.

As a landscape architect who specializes in stormwater management I'd recommend pervious concrete. It will be slightly more expensive than regular concrete but will be just as durable, even in a location that freezes a lot. With everyone becoming more aware of sustainable building practices it will increase the value of your home more than plain concrete or asphalt. Another good thing about pervious pavings is that in some places (not sure how progressive your community is) you can get tax deductions or grants to help offset the added costs and even reduce the costs over traditional materials.

Pervious Concrete Pavement for Green, Sustainable Porous & Permeable Stormwater Drainage for more information.

If you don't go that route then just go with standard concrete. It can easily be stamped and stained to whatever you want plus it will hold up better in the long run, especially when you're not looking at heavy-duty use.

+1 on concrete, i used to pour it and it's far superior to asphalt. It may crack and it might not, my garage is 9 years old without a single crack. A lot depends on the surface your pouring it on. I would also say it may add to the resale value of the house, it unlike asphalt requires no maintenance.

^^^^ what he said:eek:, he types faster.

Wow thank you all, I especially liked the picture Orfy, didn't know it could look that nice. I'm definitely going with concrete, just need to call up the local contractor association and find out how much it costs to do the extra things mentioned here. Thanks!

It will be slightly more expensive than regular concrete but will be just as durable, even in a location that freezes a lot.

I've done quite a bit of this and from a cost view your around 30 sy. I also can't agree that its just as durable. Freeze thaw is not an issue but it does tend to break up where your making sharp turns.

I am a construction inspector and with the cost of asphalt going up and up concrete is pretty competitive these days. I would go with concrete it will hold up a lot longer than asphalt if done right, make sure there are plenty of expansion joints and place re-bar if your driving heavy rigs on it.

I run a concrete batch plant for a living, and know a bit about it. It's good stuff. When paying someone to pour concrete for a driveway or something know anyone can pour concrete; it takes someone who knows what they are doing to do it well. Rebar and welded wire mesh do not stop cracking they merely hold it together once it cracks. It will crack so have it crack at controlled joints as previously mentioned. I say go concrete (but my driveway it's gravel)

cz

I just had mine done 1.5 years ago. If I had to redo it I would do it in Concrete.

I plan on redoing mine in 5-7 with concrete.

Repairing Asphalt is easier than concrete. But concrete is more durable, though costly. But concrete driveways longevity is high, also available multiple colors. I prefer concrete.

I'm in the concrete camp. Asphalt is cheaper, but concrete will last. My original driveway is asphalt, our builder said it was "4 inches" but in reality, only 2-2.5" thick. I plan to replace that soon, as that asphalt is 21 years old and looking pretty wavy, with cracks all over.

Get several estimates before you move forward. You may be surprised to find the bids all over the place. Lowest bid isn't always the best. Ask each contractor lots of good questions. Will they use re-mesh or rebar? Will they button it up to the adjacent garage slab so that it doesn't drop off later? How much paver base will they put down before pouring? Ask for some addresses of their work, particularly jobs a few years old.

I had my driveway blacktopped about 40 years ago and it is still in decent condition. It was a new subdivision so most of us had it done at the same time so I saved about 50%. Those of us with good gravel bases still have good blacktop but the others need to be redone. The base is more important than the blacktop thickness.

Back