Asked Sierra Nevada Brewing about Torpedo Extra IPA Recipe. Here it is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
I emailed Sierra Nevada Brewing, asking if they could point in the right direction of making their Torpedo Extra IPA since I absolutely love that beer. This was the response. Just incase anyone else is in the same boat here it is!

90% Pale 2-row
7% Caramel (60L)
3% EuroPils (Munich would work)
Mash around 155 to 156 F.
Shot for 7.2% ABV and 70 IBU.

First addition at kettle full: Magnum
after 30 minute boil: Magnum
last 5 minutes of boil: Magnum & Crystal hops
dry hop: Magnum, Crystal & Citra (~ 3/4 pound per barrel)

This is what beersmith has punched out for me based upon 70% efficiency

Also was guessing since there is 3/4Lbs of dry hopping, thought maybe they would be using 4 oz of each since there is 12 oz in 3/4 of a Lb. 1 US beer barrel = 117.347765 liters, so I just punched in 4 oz of each then scaled the hop ratio down to 5 gallons. What does everyone think?

12.85 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US 89.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 7.0 %
0.45 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (30 min)
1.05 oz Magnum [14.00%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.65 oz Citra [13.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days)
0.65 oz Crystal [3.50%] (Dry Hop 14 days)
0.65 oz Magnum [14.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days)

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.072
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019
Estimated Color: 10.6 SRM
Bitterness: 70.3 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.0 %

Would WLP007 be a good yeast to use for this?

if you're going for close to the original, us-05, wy1056 or wlp001 would be the yeast to use.

Also I'm thinking you should up the crystal addition at 5 minutes and take out the magnum. Same with the 30 minute addition. get rid of it and up the 60 minute addition. also I don't think I've ever heard of using magnum as a dry hop. that variety is more used as a bittering addition and it's not known for its aroma or flavor.

I am assuming OP got the recipe from SN. That said I have never heard of magnum being used as a late hop either but always thought they had a pleasant enough aroma.

Tinga said:
if you're going for close to the original, us-05, wy1056 or wlp001 would be the yeast to use.

Also I'm thinking you should up the crystal addition at 5 minutes and take out the magnum. Same with the 30 minute addition. get rid of it and up the 60 minute addition. also I don't think I've ever heard of using magnum as a dry hop. that variety is more used as a bittering addition and it's not known for its aroma or flavor.

They use magnum, crystal, and citra in the dry hop. I was at a beer fest, and I got a booklet from them that gives pretty detailed info about most of their beers.

Nah, they use the Chico strain. Doesnt matter where you get it, so I'd save the hassle and pitch some 05

Bradzukie said:
Think with that gravity I should pitch 2 packets of 05?

The recommended pitch would probably be 13 grams or so. I'd just pitch 1 sachet

So very good timing on this post. Was looking for this very recipe a week ago and I happen to have all the hops needed for this one. Thanks for taking the time to share!

First off, Torpedo Extra IPA is a truly impressive beer. I have gone out of my way just to find a case when the local store runs out.

Just to add to the confusion, I must say the following:

Just a few weeks ago, I went to a beer tasting event that was sponsored by Sierra Nevada. Samples offered included the Kellerweis Hefeweizen, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Torpedo Extra IPA, Ruthless Rye IPA, Sierra Nevada Porter, Bigfoot Barleywine Ale, & Ovila Quad. The restaurant hosting the beer tasting did an excellent job pairing their food with each of the beers for a five course meal. A very impressive and delicious experience. Once they started to hand out the Torpedo Extra IPA, we all sat patiently while the rep gave a few words on the background of the beer as well as about the founders of the brewery. With beer in hand and first sip consumed, I asked if they could elaborate on what hops were used. Their reply was simple... all Citra Hops.

I don't mean to imply that one person has it all wrong, I'm simply trying to share what information I received at a Sierra Nevada event. If anyone tries this recipe and then tries one with only Citra, please share the results.

Until then, cheers to you that make your own brew.

TheBusterBrew said:
First off, Torpedo Extra IPA is a truly impressive beer. I have gone out of my way just to find a case when the local store runs out.

Just a few weeks ago, I went to a beer tasting event that was sponsored by Sierra Nevada. Samples offered included the Kellerweis Hefeweizen, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Torpedo Extra IPA, Ruthless Rye IPA, Sierra Nevada Porter, Bigfoot Barleywine Ale, & Ovila Quad. The restaurant hosting the beer tasting did an excellent job pairing their food with each of the beers for a five course meal. A very impressive and delicious experience. Once they started to hand out the Torpedo Extra IPA, we all sat patiently while the rep gave a few words on the background of the beer as well as about the founders of the brewery. With beer in hand and first sip consumed, I asked if they could elaborate on what hops were used. Their reply was simple... all Citra Hops.

I don't mean to imply that one person has it all wrong, I'm simply trying to share what information I received at a Sierra Nevada event. If anyone tries this recipe and then tries one with only Citra, please share the results.

Sounds like an awesome experience!

I have an IPA conditioning right now that is almost all Citra with almost the same ABV as this recipe and grain selection. I used Magnum as the 60 minute hops.

How would you rate the hoppyness of that beer? Any similarities to other commercial beers?

interesting that's what they told you. they should check Sierra's website: http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/torpedo.html :mug:

Well then... Now I'm whole-heartedly sure the rep was talking out of her ass. I rescind my previous notations about only Citra Hops. Thanks for the great (and well published) reference.

about $9/6-pack in Northern VA...but everything is a little more expensive here. When I moved here from more rural southwest VA all beer was at least $1 more per 6-pack, no exceptions. I think you can get a 12-pack of Torpedo for $16 depending on which grocery store you go to.

bwomp313 said:
seriously? You must live in some sort of magical wonderland. I wish I could get it for that price.

The local liquor store sells it for $15 a 12 pack regular price and they run it on sale quite often for $13 and occasionally $12. I have also seen these prices in Fl at total wine.

I love this beer and I was thinking about brewing a clone but with all those hops its about the same price as I can buy it.

You should try Magnum as a dry hop. It gives a fantastic floral aroma.
I use it to dry hop a couple of my IPA's and always great. :mug:

Torpedo currently on sale here for 10.99 a 12 pack, they also just got the cans of pounders in stock. I still might have to brew this one up.

TheBrewinator said:
Torpedo currently on sale here for 10.99 a 12 pack, they also just got the cans of pounders in stock. I still might have to brew this one up.
$44 for 2 cases. Unless you buy in bulk you can't buy the ingredients for 5 gallons for that kind of money.

phuff7129 said:
$44 for 2 cases. Unless you buy in bulk you can't buy the ingredients for 5 gallons for that kind of money.

I think the most of don't homebrew to save money

SwampassJ said:
Or go one step farther and buy it in a keg and never ever brew another clone again.:confused:

Or brew a clone where the commercial version costs $2.50 for a 12 oz bottle.

Magnum and Crystal are two of the cheapest and most available hops around. It's not a super expensive brew anyway.

Back