Ashburne Mild Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
So I ordered enough ingredients to make a batch of brew and I decided that I wanted to try out a base malt I had never dealt with before. I ordered 11 lbs of the stuff before I read that they suggest using up to 50% of your grain bill.....

So I was wondering whether someone had used this malt before and if they could tell me in what quantities and their results.

Thanks!

I use it in british dark milds. I have used it quite often over the last year or two.

The first time I used it, I simply wanted to see what it did for a beer. I used it as 100% of the base malt...... which, in reality, ends up being about 75-80% of the total grain bill, as the rest is made up of various specialty malts.
Bottom line - I thought using it as the only base malt made the beer to "sweet."

I would say that currently, my dark mild is roughly
35-40% Ashburne Mild Malt
35-40% Maris Otter
20-30% Specialty grains (crystal, brown, chocolate, flaked and naked oats, victory..... those types of grains).

Personally, I found using it for all the basemalt was a bit much. It was a good way to get a feel for it as a grain though, and it was still a good beer. I just like it better in a moderate proportion.

Thanks for replying, yeah that's what I was worried about but it's good to know it was still a good beer in the end. I won't be able to get my hands on any other kind of malt seeing as there is no such thing as a LHBS where I live.

I think I'm going to mash real low, maybe like 147-148 for an extended period and replace a portion of the mild malt with sugar to try and combat the sweetness and body that I've read that it adds.

Back