Aseptox in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadBoozer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've started a new batch of beer in my primary fermentation bin. I put the lid on and after that I put the airlock filled of aseptox. Then, I don't know why, but the bin instantly sucked about half the aseptox in, pouring in the beer. Then I thought it would be ok. Then some days after, I removed the lid to clean it(as the foam came out by the airlock), and when I came to put the lid back on, the same thing happened. Do you know if aseptox can be toxic in such quantity?
Thank you.

Never heard of it...I'm asuming it's a Canadian Product...

Is it iodine based?

I'm going to assume that if it was bought from the brewing shop or online as a sanitizer, then it is safe if it gets into your brew.

I found this on another site..

Q - I doubt you've been asked this before - is Aseptox at all toxic? I'm asking because I forgot about the 4 litres of Aseptox solution in my secondary carboy when I racked from my primary. It dawned on me when I ran out of room in the secondary with plenty of wine left in the primary. Also, if it isn't toxic, will affect the taste much? I know it will be diluted, but would it be worth the bother to continue with this kit? It is a Selection Luna Rossa and I was looking forward to the finished product. The Aseptox solution was 4 teaspoons/litre if that makes any difference. Thanks. Bedford, NS
A - Well, it will certainly dilute your wine, but I'd say not enough to pitch it. Aseptox is a product that when used to sterilize, can be safely emptied without rinsing. However.....I do not know the ramifications of adding so much to a batch & have referred your question to the distributor. Until you hear further I would not discard the wine. Checking with the distributor we received the following information: "Aseptox is a chemical consisting of super-concentrated oxygen molecules, which kill bacteria instantly on contact. It is colorless, odorless and tasteless, so other than seriously diluting his wine, it probably would not have any other noticeable effect. HOWEVER, I would not be comfortable advising the customer to go ahead and drink the wine. We only guarantee our products if they are made as per our instructions, and even though the chances of ill effects may be slim, we as a company would not advise the customer to continue with the wine". Peter Mills Account Manager Atlantic Canada for Winexpert BC

I think you will be fine. :mug:

why did it get sucked into the primary? Only thing I can think of negative pressure, Were you leaning on the lid or pushing down hard on the lock? Dont really matter as others have said its non toxic.

Way to avoid this use Vodka in the lock next time.

usually negative pressure. the lid usually gets pushed down when you jam an airlock in the hole, so when it lifts up...it sucks in some sanitizer if you're not careful.

also, if the wort is a little warm, it'll create negative pressure as it cools.

MadBoozer said:
Hi everyone,
I've started a new batch of beer in my primary fermentation bin. I put the lid on and after that I put the airlock filled of aseptox. Then, I don't know why, but the bin instantly sucked about half the aseptox in, pouring in the beer. Then I thought it would be ok. Then some days after, I removed the lid to clean it(as the foam came out by the airlock), and when I came to put the lid back on, the same thing happened. Do you know if aseptox can be toxic in such quantity?
Thank you.

Vodka is much better in the airlock. Especially for us better bottle and bucket users. The better bottles are more likely to suck back because they flex. With Vodka oops, just boosted the ABV is much better than darn I just put some sanitizer in my beer.

Probably not your problem but I've noticed if the vessel is warmer than the ambient air temp then--through the steady contraction of the internal air as it cools--it will suck the contents of your airlock into the vessel.

Latest posts

Back