ascorbic acid/cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanieb

Reaction score
Hi guys
Doing my first batch of cider and may have made a rookie mistake.most of the juice is concentrate but I did add half a litre of pear juice purée but it does say that it contains ascorbic acid .its bubbling away ok at the moment but just wondering could this turn too crap 😂.see images below

Attachments

• 96F6A9A0-770E-4B37-AD79-4AA6788370A8.jpeg
    96F6A9A0-770E-4B37-AD79-4AA6788370A8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 4D366CA0-1E39-4B85-953E-BCECD544F039.jpeg
    4D366CA0-1E39-4B85-953E-BCECD544F039.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Ascorbic acid does not harm the yeast.

I'm still looking for better info on the effect fermentation has on the amount of VitC. (other than that one OJ study we both came across).

Cheers!

I'm still looking for better info on the effect fermentation has on the amount of VitC. (other than that one OJ study we both came across).

Cheers!
Worried about getting scurvy?

Ascorbic acid readily oxidizes. You might want to look for info about dehydroascorbic acid bioavailability since you aren't using sulfite. I'll be investigating the chemistry more at some point and I'll try to remember to update you when I do.

I have a few articles put together if you want to try to make sense of them...
https://***************.com/wiki/Ascorbic_acid

lol....nope on the scurvy....just curious based on using AJ and FAJC both which have it prior to fermentation.

Thanks...will check out your articles.

Peace out!

Back