As the hops fade...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
This has happened with a couple really hopped up ipas. I've tasted a bottle at 14 days and then every couple days after that. Once its fully carbed the balance of conditioning and carbonation is so right on. The beer is amazing! At its best! Fresh fresh fresh. Then just a week later the change is not just a matter of fading a bit...but almost a totally different beer.

Anyone else?

Yes, its know as maturing. All beers go through this, with the light color and low alcohol beers maturing first, then as the color is darker or alcohol is higher the beers take longer to mature.

Yes, its know as maturing. All beers go through this, with the light color and low alcohol beers maturing first, then as the color is darker or alcohol is higher the beers take longer to mature.

I know. My question is if you've/others have really preferred the earliest stage of conditioning...that even in the second week of drinking there is considerable loss of perceived freshness.

It's known as producing a beer that lacks stability and shelf life.
True, but if you have a way to stabilize that dank, fresh, raw hop flavor and aroma that comes from loads of late hops, I'm listening. After a few weeks the hop character that I love fades in my beers. They turn into just another IPA. Not bad, just no longer fresh.

True, but if you have a way to stabilize that dank, fresh, raw hop flavor and aroma that comes from loads of late hops, I'm listening. After a few weeks the hop character that I love fades in my beers. They turn into just another IPA. Not bad, just no longer fresh.

Yes, me too. My favorite IPA is the one that is just freshest. While the end of the keg is also good, it's just not "in your face" hops forward as much as the first one.

Even Pliny has on it's label: Drink fresh! Do not age! Not a barleywine. Do not Age! Age your cheese, not your Pliny! Respect hops, consume fresh! Consume Pliny fresh or not at all! (etc all around the label).

My point is that the first day this last beer settled...I was so in love that I thought I'd tear up and write some poetry. I bragged about it and then by the time I got a bottle out to a friend...a week later...yeah, it was good but very much another ipa.

It's hard to pinpoint, but I'd say the teary-eyed love affair only lasts about week.

After that I start looking at her younger sister. :D

Ha! I just bottled another that should be in that sweet spot soon and I did the hop stand for flameout adds so I'm hoping in your face aromas will be stronger even and last a not longer than a week.

Not sure if you've tried this but maybe do 2-3 different dry hops? With my current beer I tossed in some hops once I hit FG, did the same thing 3 days later, cold crashed, kegged, and then added some more to the keg. 2 weeks later and it has a lot of hop flavor.

Not sure if you've tried this but maybe do 2-3 different dry hops? With my current beer I tossed in some hops once I hit FG, did the same thing 3 days later, cold crashed, kegged, and then added some more to the keg. 2 weeks later and it has a lot of hop flavor.

Good pont. The longest I had strong aroma was well over a month and on that one in not only had FWH but did a second addition of simcoe 3 days after the first because I feared the first hops were a bit old and tired.

Had a stomach bug. Took a few days off from drinking. Just had this beer I'm posting about. Even though its lost that crazy crazy good freshness, its still got an amazing nose and fruity taste. Still in love.

I'll have to do two hop adds and a hop stand next time with he same recipe.

Back