Artificial Sweeteners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed anything using artificial sweetners?

I am not a fan of aspartame, as I'm a bit wary of the health risks, but so far sucralose has shown to be 'safe'. I can't stand the taste of stevia, either though.

Sucralose is NOT a sugar substitute though, that is certain. Although it is sweet, it has its own flavor, unlike sugar. But again - I enjoy it.

I was wondering because these flavors tend to be more intense and obvious than sugar itself. They may be able to mask off flavors easier, as well as highlight other sweet flavors, such as vanilla, mocha, etc.

I would never add it to primary though, as I'm sure some kind of metabolism or oxidation/reduction could be possible. But I think it compliments vanilla and mocha flavors so well - I'd be interested in giving it a try. I think a major issue with this is the amount - since sugar is inevitably present to begin with, adding an additional sweetener will require some guess - and - check experimentation. Over sweetening would of course be something to think about.

Has anyone any experience?

My first thought was, no way. But then I realized there are some really sweet beers that I enjoy and I haven't be able to replicate. Like Southern Tier's Creme Brulee stout.

But I no experience, so I can't help you. Perhaps you can try adding a small amount to a glass of your beer to see if you even like it.

Xylitol is your best bet. I've used it in ciders, and it's very much like sugar when dissolved. Good for your teeth, too.

People also use it to make hard root beer, ginger ale, etc.

Back