Article for Newcomers! Need your input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_R

Reaction score
Fellow members of HBT! This is your chance to help provide input, direction, and even content for an article I am writing for the site that will tailored specifically for the "new HBTer". This is not just for "new brewers", but for brewers that are of all experience levels, just new to this site.

What I'm looking for from all of you is what should go into this article? I already plan on including a thorough explanation of the search function so that those of us that woke up on the wrong side of the keggle are less likely to blow up on some poor n00b. However, your suggestions for the content of that article are more than welcome.

I also plan on including a lot of links to stickies, particularly informative or commonly sought after threads. The basics of online etiquette and important rules to follow, as well as the links to locations of the full rules and guidelines.

Please help me out here so that I can provide a valuable article for the community - even if you may not benefit from it directly!

Thank you!
Jack

The importance of TEMPERATURE! From steeping grains to holding mash temp to pitching yeast to controlling ferm temp to conditioning bottles and kegs .. maybe tips and tricks for doing all of that well and affordably

How about transitioning from extract to AG. Basics then an in-depth. I know there is a bit on the wiki.

How to get into kegging; cost, how you can hack or do it on the cheap.

Maybe a glossary on what people mean when they say AG (all grain), OG (original poster).

These are some things as a newer member I've been looking to learn about or searching.

Fermentation - What it is, how it works, what happens during it, what to expect and when. Example, I see a lot of n00b's asking if fermentation is done after 3 days because the krausen has fallen. Or the krausan has fallen is the beer ruined.

The importance of TEMPERATURE! From steeping grains to holding mash temp to pitching yeast to controlling ferm temp to conditioning bottles and kegs .. maybe tips and tricks for doing all of that well and affordably

Sounds like an article on it's own! I'll keep it in mind for the next one, then come back and edit this one to include a link to it, how's that sound?

How about transitioning from extract to AG. Basics then an in-depth. I know there is a bit on the wiki.

I think that's great! Again, I will probably just give a brief overview of it and then point them toward the wiki, stickies, and outstanding threads for the details.

How to get into kegging; cost, how you can hack or do it on the cheap.

Perfect actually. I think this could be summarized neatly with pointers to directions for hacks, kegerators, keezers, etc.

Maybe a glossary on what people mean when they say AG (all grain), OG (original poster).

I was thinking of this as well but I think we will need to start a thread where the OP gets edited and updated so our glossary can grow and be refined. What do you think? Then the article can maybe give the top 5 or 10 requested definitions and point to the thread?!

- Jack
...this is going to be expensive...

Equipment Upgrade road maps plans. Suggestions how to go from extract to all grain, 5g to 10g, gravity to pump feeds, etc

Links to good books as well for the new brewer would be good - Or articles on the basics - links and such helped me a lot when i got started - I spend more time researching than anything.

The search engine for this site is a bit hard to use and i find myself posting new topics that have been out for a while - problem is i dont see them until after i post and go down to similar threads. (maybe i just dont know how to work the search though?)

Thread tools ---> Subscribe to thread. You don't need to bump the thread with "Subscribed" just so you can subscribe and not contribute anything.

I think that's great! Again, I will probably just give a brief overview of it and then point them toward the wiki, stickies, and outstanding threads for the details.

Perfect actually. I think this could be summarized neatly with pointers to directions for hacks, kegerators, keezers, etc.

I was thinking of this as well but I think we will need to start a thread where the OP gets edited and updated so our glossary can grow and be refined. What do you think? Then the article can maybe give the top 5 or 10 requested definitions and point to the thread?!

All sounds good to me! I also saw that I messed up my glossary term. ;-)

I like the other poster who mentioned temperatures. Next weekend I'll bottle my first brew and I've been so paranoid about my temps. I even placed it in a swamp cooler on the suggestions from other members, but it still fluctuated a lot based on the amount of ice I added to the bath water.

Also realized after you responded to me, my only good article suggestion was about the kegging, etc. But I have another idea! How about when to brew or how to target when to brew certain styles of beer. Example, I'm looking at what recipe to brew next for consumption during the winter months. This can go in two directions, wheat beers or darker stronger beers. Yet, wheat beers can also be a summer style. Maybe an article about seasonal brewing, what makes it seasonal, and how you can specialize a seasonal brew for say Easter. Obvious seasonal beers would be pumpkin/octoberfest styles. Personally, I don't know of what I'd drink around the winter holidays or in spring.

Ok, I'll stop adding ideas and read what others post now.

Links to good books as well for the new brewer would be good - Or articles on the basics - links and such helped me a lot when i got started - I spend more time researching than anything.

The search engine for this site is a bit hard to use and i find myself posting new topics that have been out for a while - problem is i dont see them until after i post and go down to similar threads. (maybe i just dont know how to work the search though?)

Good one brewtech! On that note, any submit talks for good books? I was already planning on linking to Palmer's book since it's exceptional AND online for free!

And I have already addressed the search function - to the best of my ability - in my current draft. I'll post that portion on here in a few hours to see if anyone has additions or corrections.

- Jack

Here's what I've got for explaining the basics of how to utilize the search function on the site:

HOW TO USE SEARCH!
First, as mentioned, that google search box at the top of the site, searches the entire site. Articles, Photos, Threads, even individual posts! The proverbial needle in a haystack, and the least likely way of ever hoping to find the information you want.
Now, the previously mentioned “Search This Forum” button does just that. It searches the thread you are currently on. Think of it like drilling down in layers. If you click on the Recipe Database room, or “forum” technically, when you click the search this forum box you are now limiting your search to ONLY THAT room – so only Recipe Database threads. (Also note the selectable buttons for “Show Threads” and “Show Posts” - they do exactly what they sound like they would do, find search results with your key word(s) in them that are THREAD TITLES or INDIVIDUAL POSTS that contain that/those keyword/s).
Which brings me to my next point, the actual functioning of the keyword search is fairly basic. Your results will include any combination of the keywords you select to search for. So my “wedding ale” search will provide results for any thread that has a title or post that contains either of those words. The big difference between Show Thread and Show Post is the result format. Thread results display as a Thread title and a snippet from the OP, while Post results display the Thread title and then a portion of the Post containing the keywords. You’ll notice if you go to the Recipe Database and use my “wedding ale” search my desired Thread – Bennington Wedding Ale – is the last result on the first page in Show Thread but it’s the SECOND result on the Show Post! So, keep all of this in mind when you’re searching, try toggling this button and looking at both result outputs if at first you don’t find what you want. (By the way, the example recipe is not mine, nor have I brewed it yet; but as of this writing it’s at the top of the list!)

Refractometers. The proper use instructions are readily available but we keep getting high fg posts.

A link to the 'how to brew' free online distribution. A disclaimer that some things have changed since that first edition was written. People should check resources like that before asking stupid questions here.

I like your idea.thanks!

How about the fact that at a smaller batch size, most beginners can jump right in to all grain with the pots they have at their house. Someone mentioned a equipment road map. All grain is cheaper and they can start saving and learning at the same time. After a few months, they will have a better idea of where they want to go with the hobby rather than being "stuck" with any major equipment purchase.

Thread tools ---> Subscribe to thread. You don't need to bump the thread with "Subscribed" just so you can subscribe and not contribute anything.

+1 nothing is more frustrating than seeing a thread I am following has a new post only to find out is someone subscribing. Even easier on the app, just tap the star

Wait, this article is for new HBTers, not new brewers, right?

Make it about using HBT, not about brewing.

The search tutorial and the glossary were the only HBT topics mentioned.

How about a Top 10 list of things about using HBT that new users might not know (and old users already should know, but sometimes forget!) searching, acronyms, quirks about the app, info about buying and selling, courtesy, etc.

If you get too far afield, the article won't have a focus and will just be a ramble about brewing topics. New brewers will be lost, and old brewers won't care.

Just my 2 cents.

Good point. If there's enough information for two articles maybe there should be one article of new HBT'ers and another for new Brewers. The thing is I know that there are a lot of people who won't want to read the new Brewers article and continue asking stupid questions because they refuse to believe that they don't know everything. A single article of must read for those new to home brew talk might do the trick

Ways to streamline your brew day including brew day checklist, brew day measurements, what notes to take along the way to help you inspect and adapt, common newbie mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Good point. If there's enough information for two articles maybe there should be one article of new HBT'ers and another for new Brewers. The thing is I know that there are a lot of people who won't want to read the new Brewers article and continue asking stupid questions because they refuse to believe that they don't know everything. A single article of must read for those new to home brew talk might do the trick

There are enough articles (here and elsewhere) for new brewers. Abandon that idea completely!! :) Seriously, that's what How to Brew is for, along with the beginner's threads here. Plus, as soon as you say, "Do it this way..." someone will object because that's not how they do it.

The HBT article would be useful and interesting. Even longtime users of HBT could benefit from tips about using it more effectively. Make it a short article with key points, and it will work for everyone.

An FAQ would be nice. With links to the corresponding threads like the show us your infection thread.

Wait, this article is for new HBTers, not new brewers, right?

Make it about using HBT, not about brewing.

The search tutorial and the glossary were the only HBT topics mentioned.

How about a Top 10 list of things about using HBT that new users might not know (and old users already should know, but sometimes forget!) searching, acronyms, quirks about the app, info about buying and selling, courtesy, etc.

If you get too far afield, the article won't have a focus and will just be a ramble about brewing topics. New brewers will be lost, and old brewers won't care.

Just my 2 cents.

Spot on! That's exactly what it is about. I have hit the basics of etiquette, although I'm looking for a link to a hard and fast set of rules for he community. Any help here?

Also, I posted the search tutorial - there will be pictures in the main article, as in screen shots; I'm in the Air Force, we like to make these things dummy proof. Anyone have any edits or additions for it?

I also have a section on buying and selling, essentially it's buyer beware so if it sounds too good to be true maybe have someone else take a look, as well as the "no group buys for equipment" along with the rationale for it. What am I missing that's important?

I figured the glossary would take care of the acronyms, although I would GREATLY appreciate some input and suggestions here. And I'm really in the dark in regard to quirks for the app?

Thanks for the help!

- Jack

Everyone, thank you for the help so far! I agree that there is more than enough material for two articles, one for new brewers and one for new HBTers (and enough for somewhat experienced brewers, and experienced brewers as well for that matter). The goal for this article however IS to provide a ONE STOP SHOP for NEW HBTers. On that note, if everyone wouldn't mind giving the basic rules below a once over and providing me with some feedback, that would be awesome!:D

Rules and Etiquette – Stuff you need to know before posting!
1) The standard golden rule; be polite and friendly. This is a community not a nightclub in a college town. There’s always going to be someone who knows more than you – this line is for those of you that DO know more and get “frustrated” seeing the same questions/posts over and over again. We’ve all been there and it is difficult to find the thread you’re looking for on here a lot of the time. If you don’t have the patience to kindly point these individuals to that thread, just exercise your will power and refrain from replying at all.

2) When you are considering asking a question that has probable been asked before – exercise some due diligence and make a real attempt at searching for the information you’re looking for. If that doesn’t work, consider sending a PM(private message) to another user who you think may know where to find what you’re after, or start the thread. Remember to check the stickie threads!

3) Starting a new thread to ask a question or to get input? PROVIDE AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE. Be specific in the question your asking, clear and explanative with your details, and if applicable include some quality pictures.

4) DO NOT “Reply” TO A THREAD TO SUBSCRIBE TO IT!!! This is infinitely frustrating. If you do not have any actual commentary to add to a discussion/thread, but you are interested in the topic, simply “subscribe” to the topic the appropriate way by selecting from the top of the thread the “Thread Tools” drop down list and click “Subscribe to this Thread”. After that, you will be notified of new posts to this thread and you may continue to lurk and learn until you also have something to add, or a question to ask.

Back