arrrg...ROOMMATE!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-U-K-E

Reaction score
Fermentation stopped about 5 days ago, and i opened the bucket to take a gravity reading.While sterilizing the hydrometer my flu ridden roommate stuck his finger in the wort to "see if it tasted like beer yet".....

Is my FIRST batch ruined?
Will I get sick from drinking it?

You won't get sick from drinking it- the alcohol is pretty tough. Whether it gets infected or not though you won't know until later. Just carry on and hope for the best.

the flu won't contaminate it, but the bacteria on his hands might.

i wouldn't be concerned. a friend of mine stuck his whole arm into my last wheat beer at bottling (we had an emergency spigot reattachment to perform) and it's turned out fine so far.

i'd slap your roommate around a bit, tho.

I laughed out loud when I read your question. I'd be pissed too. But it's still pretty funny

"If it tasted like beer yet." That's classic.

I've had someone do this to my beer at kegging to taste it. I wasn't too concerned but I warned him for the next time it happens, there maybe consequences!

you should be ok - i mean i wouldn't chuck it away or anything. but... the roomie definitely needs to keep his hands off the bevvy until it's ready!

i'll continue forward then, thanks guys and gals!

Just another quick question, do you think its ready to bottle yet?
its been about a week since i put the yeast in... its grav is 1.012 (its a continental light)
and its been bout 5 days since the bubbling ceased...

Well, probably. But I always recommend about 2-3 weeks in the fermenter before bottling.

Even though fermentation is finished, the yeast are still busy cleaning up their own waste products and the spent yeast is flocculating out. So, there is a benefit to waiting at least 2 weeks before bottling. You'll have a cleaner, better beer.

Ok, so now- answer the first question!!!! Does it taste like beer? Is it good? :ban:

My room mate said it did, but i guess I'll find out in two or three weeks! once i bottle it, how long should i let it sit?

it'll take a while to carb, and the longer you leave it the better it will taste, most likely. but i reckon try one after two weeks. remember to store at about 65F after bottling to get the carbonation, then store it somewhere cooler and fridge it for 24 hrs or so before drinking

rh348877 said:
I laughed out loud when I read your question. I'd be pissed too. But it's still pretty funny

"If it tasted like beer yet." That's classic.

yeah I laughed too. The beer will prolly be OK, but still I'd give the roomie a good thrashing.

How about this. If your roomie wants to drink any of it after it's finished, make him do something like put your dirty undies on his head and spin in circles while repeating the phrase, "I'm an idiot and don't deserve this yummy homebrew, DUKE is the man and I'm lucky to share this home with him." Should be lots of fun when he is trying to get his hands on the fourth or fifth of the night:)

no, i didn't...was i supposed to? i just took the reading after he "tasted" it...(it was 1.012)

D-U-K-E said:
My room mate said it did, but i guess I'll find out in two or three weeks! once i bottle it, how long should i let it sit?

I think you'r beer will be fine but wow, that's a little rude (but I guess it's simple enthusiastic curiosity). You should educate him as to why that is not appropriate.
I had some pretty bad roommates and it always ended poorly for them, normally with a smack in the head or a harsh verbal spanking, probably why I only had 1 guy that could tolerate living with me back then.

nb

i still don't get it...what did you do exactly to get the sample and did you put it back into the wort?

you should take a sample out using a wine thief or sample taker, then place it in a receptacle to measure with the hydrometer...like this:

densite_2.gif

then you can taste that when you're done. don't pour it back in.

:mug:

yeah i did just drop it into the wort..whoops! sample taker eh? sounds good...

yeah, heh...and then explain to your roommate that he no longer needs to put his grubby hands near your beer...and you'll let him have a taste (if he does the underwear thing, of course)

:D

Duke... man... you need to Pummel this Guy! Speaking from experience, if you go through all the expense and hard work to brew, you can't have this kind of thing happen right at the end! Fermentation is everything! After you pour the whole batch out because of contamination, I say you give him a "soap in socks" party and then make him buy you the next batch.

Eastside.....

I think I'd knock out anyone who did that! I'll put it this way: I don't lean over an open bucket or even breath over it because I don't want something of fall in.

Yep, your roomie definitely needs a punch to the nards before he gets any more beer.

Best time to do that is usually about 3 AM.

Back