Arrogant Bastard Recipe -- variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/arrogant-bastard-clone-71867/

I was thinking about trying this recipe but replace the Chinook with Citra hops. Both are all-purpose hops (well at least the Citra is) and the Alpha characteristics are similar -- the Citra I will be using has an Alpha of 14%.

What do you guys think?

I'll add that my goal is to have a great tasting full bodied American Ale, not that it needs to be flavored like Arrogant Bastard Ale.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/arrogant-bastard-clone-71867/

I was thinking about trying this recipe but replace the Chinook with Citra hops. Both are all-purpose hops (well at least the Citra is) and the Alpha characteristics are similar -- the Citra I will be using has an Alpha of 14%.

What do you guys think?

I'll add that my goal is to have a great tasting full bodied American Ale, not that it needs to be flavored like Arrogant Bastard Ale.

I personally don't like the taste of citra, at least alone. I do like chinook. Citra has a tropical fruit taste that I find unpleasant by itself. It screams MANGO with a hint of Juicy Fruit gum. I don't think it'll hold up well to a traditional AB clone recipe, with the crystal 120l and other flavors. That recipe has special B and biscuit, and aromatic malt, so it might not be as "plum" and "raisiny" without the 120L, but I don't know if I'd think citra is a good blend with that grain bill.

But, if you like citra, by all means use it! I'm probably just biased because I don't like it.

Okay, I'm with you on this Yooper. I think "citrusy" and "Arrogant Bastard" are not congruent. It would be a shame to ruin such a great recipe just 'cuz I'm too cheap to go buy the correct hops.

Thanks,

/D

Back