Arrogant Bastard Ale Partial Mash Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
So I kinda stumbled on this by accident. I make a pineapple IPA where I use this recipe plus I add pineapple directly to the end of the boil. Well, this time I decided to drop the pineapples and just use my base recipe which I'd surprisingly never made by itself before.

Turns out that it tastes almost exactly like Arrogant Bastard Ale. I haven't done a side-by-side but I've drank a lot of both and, trust me, they're pretty darn close. Close enough that I'm willing to call this recipe a clone. A lot of grains here so be prepared but here it goes:

Arrogant Bastard Ale Clone (partial mash)

Grains - mash with 2 gallons at 155 F for 60 min. Sparge with 1 gallon at 160 F.

3.5 lb Carapils
.5 lb Munich Malt
.5 lb 2-row Pale Malt
6.6 lb light LME

Hops

1 oz Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Northern Brewer (45 min)
1 oz Kent Golding (30 min)
1 oz Amarillo (15 min)

Other

1 tbsp Irish Moss (30 min)

Yeast

White Labs California Ale

You could probably cut down on the Carapils a bit if you're looking to use less grains. 4.5 lbs was way too much for my colander to hold so it got a bit messy and the head retention ended up a bit more than Arrogant Bastard. Again, I didn't intend for this to be a clone so I don't mind it but if you're looking to get it closer to Stone's brew then you probably should use a little less. It won't come out quite as dark as Arrogant Bastard (even with the LME) but it's pretty dark. Enjoy.

is that really 3.5 POUNDS of Carapils? :)

intersting, all the AB clones I have seen are nothing but 2row, Special B or C-150 and Chinook hops

Interesting. Arrogant Bastard is all chinook so I'm surprised it tastes the least bit like AB. I think you've got several misprints in your grainbill, though.

Crazy, I know. But it's 3.5 lbs Carapils. That's why I said it's probably a good idea to cut down on that. This was one of the first recipes I ever did myself so if it seems a little weird it's because I had no idea what I was doing.

Back