aromatic IPA attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrseio

Reaction score
inspired by aroma-forward IPAs like firestone's nectar, i'd like to try to develop my own. though i've brewed a few dozen batches, i've done very little in the way of formulation, so my sense of flavors (particularly for hops) is beginner.

any advice and critique is welcome - attack any of it!

my basic plan so far:

95% 2-row
5% crystal 20

hops:
1 oz pallisade 60 min

.5 oz citra 30 min

1.5 oz pacific gem 5 min
1 oz pacific jade
1 oz citra

.5 pacific gem flameout
.5 oz citra

yeast:
american ale yeast

Your grains are in percentage and the hops are in weight. What is the intended OG of this beer? Batch size?

I second that IPA's with great hop aroma are amazing! Two quick comments, have you thought about adding a dry hop addition? Also, sometimes if you have a strong hop aroma without the hop flavor to back it up the beer can taste a little off so i might bump up the flavor addition as well. Finally, I am thinking of buying a pound of palisade hops, have you brewed much with them? Their description sounded pretty interesting.

thanks gators

i did, but i wasn't quite sure how much to use. i haven't used any of these hops, so i also considered starting simple and doing a few single hopped small batches from one 5.5gal boil. thoughts on this?

have you used pacific gem or jade? any other hops stand out to you as having interesting aroma? and when should i be doing the hopping? last 10 min? five? whirlpool?

From my limited experience, I have found that late additions are the way to go to get that aroma.
I would take out the 30 min addition and add it to the FO - might even think about deleting the 5 min additions and putting all of the hops in at FO.

Good luck!

Back