Aroma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
Currently, I'm limited to cooling my wort to pitching temp by putting my pot in an ice bath. Typically takes me about 30 min to drop to 70F. I suspect I'm not gettting quite the aroma from time 0 hops that I would if I were cooling with a more efficient/quicker method.

With my current system, I'm wondering if I should hold off on dropping aroma hops in until 10-15 min into my cooling period, instead of adding them at the end of the boil.

I'm not particularly worried about infection using such a method, but I guess it's slightly more risky.

Thanks for any input on any of the above (except for my cooling method...it's what i've got right now!) ;)

Cooling method - nothing wrong with that - you can probably speed it up by stirring and lifting the pot to get cold water underneath.

I really don't think you should worry about what you are worrying about. I doubt you will detect any difference by waiting.

Don't forget that you can always dry hop to get a nice, hoppy aroma.:mug:

Thanks for the replies. I dry hop pretty frequently, just wondering about improving the aroma from end of boil additions in cases where I don't want to bother with dryhops.

I'm really not worried about it, per se, was just musing about whether a simple tweak in my process would improve the outcome.

Thanks again.

right after my last brew day, I was wondering the same thing for flavor additions.

time will tell, I guess (still fermenting)

Back