Aroma Hops now Bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
I think I screwed up a little. I brewed a brown ale over the weekend with a 60 minute boil and hops added at 60, 45, 30, and 15 minutes. When the boil was done I left the pot on the cool side of the stove and took my family out for dinner. I'm now thinking that my aroma hops might now be bittering hops due to the slow cooling. Am I right on this? If so, maybe I'll dry-hop when the primary is finished to get the aroma back.

Alpha acids need to be actively boiling to get much isomerization. But you've definitely lost much of the hop flavor.

Alpha acids need to be actively boiling to get much isomerization. But you've definitely lost much of the hop flavor.

OK, sounds like I don't have to worry too much about over-bittering but I'll dry hop for sure.

Thanks David!

while a commend your family togetherness i didn't think you got a good cold break. next time cool your wort as fast as possible to below 80F while trying not to contaminate or aerate your wort. what you did isn't really all that bad. your beer will be cloudy when cold thats all.

How much aroma did you expect from a 15 minute addition? If you want real aroma, do flameout additions and dryhopping.

while a commend your family togetherness i didn't think you got a good cold break. next time cool your wort as fast as possible to below 80F while trying not to contaminate or aerate your wort. what you did isn't really all that bad. your beer will be cloudy when cold thats all.

That's not too bad then. I prefer to have a clearer beer but my srm on this is on the higher end so I probably won't notice. I don't remember what it was but it's dark :)

Thats not really true. Plenty of people go no-chill, and have no problems with chill haze. The proteins will drop out.

Personally, I'd let it ride. Browns aren't noted for their hop aroma. Many of brown recipes get by with just a bittering add.

Thats not really true. Plenty of people go no-chill, and have no problems with chill haze. The proteins will drop out.

Thats right, you just did a no-chill. You will probably have more bitterness and less flavor/aroma, which you could make up with dry-hopping.

Back