Aroma Concerns with Dry Hopped Willamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myburgher

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am brewing for a competition coming up in 6 weeks. The style being entered is an Imperial IPA. The preliminary brew came out great, however the aroma is lacking. I love the Willamette hop, so it is being used both as a late boil addition and a dry hop (Hop schedule below). Can anyone tell me what I can do to tweak this beer to give it more aroma (I would like the IBUs to remain the same)? Is Willamette hop too subtle/ should I use a substitute (suggestions similar to Willamette welcome)?

Another somewhat risky thing that I am thinking of doing is dry hopping in the bottle. I have read that this can give the beer a vegetative flavour once the hop decays, but if I only add the hop about 2-3 weeks before the competition, do you think it is still a worthwhile pursuit?

Hop Schedule (approx oz conversions for Americans):
75 g (2.65 oz) - CTZ for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 14.6, IBU: 49.03)
90 g (3.17 oz) - Casscade for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 6.5, IBU: 20.13)
300 g (10.58 oz) - Willamette for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.4, IBU: 36)
350 g (12.35 oz) - Willamette for 4 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 5.4)

This gives a total IBU of about 105 for 45L (nearly 12 gallons). Dry hopping is done close to the end of primary fermentation, and the beer is primed in the bottle. Please ask if any other information is needed.

I don't know about down under, but an IIPA using showcasing Willamette as a flavoring/aroma hop would not do well in an American competition. We like our citrus/tropical fruit/piney flavors here.

Back