International Dark Lager Arnesberg Dark Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecitybrewco

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Fermentis Saflager 34/70
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.012-1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
20-22
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 50
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 68
Additional Fermentation
3 week lager
Tasting Notes
Clean, crisp maltiness. Hints of coffee and cocoa on palette. Finishes clean and dry.
Based on 80% efficiency.

Target 4.7-5.25% ABV depending on attenuation and OG. FG usually between 1.008 and 1.013

Ingredients:
5.5 lbs Canadian Pale Ale malt
2 lbs Light Munich 10
1 lb Dark Munich 20
0.5 lb Carafoam
4 oz UK Roasted Barley

1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 60 mins
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 15 mins

Mash at 154 for 60 mins

My fermentation schedule was 3 days @ 50 and then a 4 ish degree rise each day over the next 4 days and then 3 days at 68 to ensure complete attenuation and clean up. I then lagered for 3 or 4 weeks before closed transferring to a keg.

A very drinkable and well balanced dark lager. This is definitely not your full bodied Munich Dunkel by any stretch of the imagination. This was designed and is meant to be very sessionable beer. Clean and crisp with enough malt character to carry the beer. Low enough IBU's to balance the beer. The slightest bit of coffee and cocoa on the back end. Despite the higher mash temperature, this is a very crisp beer. Have not mashed it lower yet to see what difference it would make.

CJXtJQw.jpg

Sorry all, I thought that was included when I posted it. This was fermented with 34/70 yeast at 50 for 3 days and then slowly raised to 68 over the next 7 days. This would also work fermented with 34/70 warm. Worth a try. I'll be brewing this again as soon as the keg is about kicked. This time I will try mashing a bit lower to see he difference. I am very happy with the recipe as is though.

Back