Argh, I can't figure it out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I opened one of my first brews today and tasted it. This is what I can't figure out! I don't think it tastes cidery, and it may be a very little bit vinegary, but I am not sure. It isn't a horrible taste at all, but not great either. Part of this may be because I didn't leave it in the fermenter long enough. I bottled it 10 days after I brewed it. Carbonated it for a week then it has been in the fridge for about 12 days. I made Honey Brown Ale. It did canborate very well (I used cane sugar, cause I didn't know about corn sugar until it was too late!).

edit: when I am about to drink, the smell makes me shudder a little. It's weird.

How do I figure this out?!?

Try the next bottle in 2 weeks and see if you can tell adifference. Probably need more conditioning time. I think I saw something last night that stated Browns need more conditioning time.

This could be true. I bottled a nut-brown about 6 weeks ago and popped one tonight. Better than ever... Great flavor, great head retention, and clear-as-day.

In fact, it was a 32oz. bottle, so I'm finishing off my 3rd (and final) glass. :) Mmm...

10 days should have been enough to ferment (maybe not with honey, but you're ok if it didn't bottle bomb), but 20 days total probably isn't enough conditioning time...

Update: well, I did do this experiment. The first bottle I drank was as above, but I kept some outside the fridge and put themin two days ago. I opened it and it tasted better, the smell that made me shudder was almost gone. But, still not great, but I am sure that is b/c it was my first one and I probably messed up along the way. But, this gives me hope. So, a question:

Should I remove the bottles from the fridge and let them go for more time or is it too late since I had them in the fridge?

Not only what you said, but most newbies don't have the patience to let the brew do it's thing.

Fermentation is a natural process. It won't be ready until it's ready. You, in the meantime, will drink your brew and complain it's not great and then say something's wrong with it when all you have to do is not rush it and ... wait.:D

The problem is, I followed the directions on the recipe. Or at least I thought I did. I had no prblem with patience, but now I do see that I need more than they tell me I do!

Well the usual rule is 1-2-3. One week in the primary (you did 10 days), 2 weeks in a secondary for clearing and beginning conditioning (0), and minimum 3 weeks in the bottle for carbonation and conditioning. So the usual rule is 6 total weeks before the beer is getting good. Additional time after that and the beer mellows even more and tastes smoother and more enjoyable. My first Brown I waited the six weeks and it was still "green", but 2 weeks later it was very good.

As mentioned earlier patience is the key and by far the hardest thing for us brewers, especially earlier on in our adventure with homebrewing. My first brew was murder waiting for the beer to condition right.

Relax it will get better still.:mug:

I'm not sure what the right answer to taking them out of the fridge is. i would think it might slow the mellowing a little bit but not dramatically if it is already well carbonated. And don't put yourself down so easily when this brew may yet turn out good!!!

Back