Area Around Fermenter Dirty -- a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
If the area where I’m fermenting my beer isn’t super clean, do you think that will increase my chances of getting an infected batch?

Here’s why I ask—I started a dubbel in a cleaner area and then moved it to a warmer (and more dirty area) to warm it up. It’s still bubbling every five seconds so that “push” of CO2 leaving the fermenter and the krausen should protect my beer from ambient bugs, right? For the record, it’s a plastic bucket. I’m aware that they are more permeable to air than carboys.
I always do two weeks primary and then bottle so what I’m maybe thinking is that in six days or so when fermentation is mostly done, I’ll move it away, back to a cooler and cleaner because it won’t be bubbling as much.

Does this sound about right to you all?

Thanks!

Yeah, the positive pressure caused by the CO2 the yeast produces keeps the bugs and dirt out.

Your beer will be fine in the fermenter. However, when you keg/bottle/open the fermenter you're going to start incurring problems. The whole environment is ok for a sealed fermenter but you're going to have to open it sometime to keg/bottle. I'd just use this as an excuse to get some 401 and Pinesol. :D

You may want to clean the outside of your vessel before bottling.

However, beer is actually pretty resistant to infection. I used to have a handy list of things that have been done to beer in my family that 'common sense' would say would ruin it, but in fact it had no appreciable impact. For instance--- I once had a dog drink from the fermentation bucket while I was transferring to keg (silly me for stepping away). The beer was fine, even a couple months later.

Latest posts

Back