Are you supposed to have hop matter floating on your krauzen??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Vic_Sinclair

Reaction score
I rubberband a hop bag over the intake of my autosiphon (all sanitized) when I rack to leave it behind. But it's perfectly fine they made it in there. Some people take steps to keep them out in the first place, I take steps when I rack. Up to you.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
If you do the hop bag method, you can always scoop the hop gunk out with a big spoon afterwords and eat it. It doesn't taste as good as you'd think.

Not that I've tried that, or anything.

OP
B

bgough

Reaction score
:D:D
I rubberband a hop bag over the intake of my autosiphon (all sanitized) when I rack to leave it behind. But it's perfectly fine they made it in there. Some people take steps to keep them out in the first place, I take steps when I rack. Up to you.
I used an auto siphon from the brewpot to the primary to try and eliminate that. Apparently it didnt work. I'll probably try a strainer next time. I'm surprised at how much is actually floating on top of the krauzen though.

Thanks guys.

Oh BTW, I can't wait untill I get to tell someone to RDWHAHB.:D

Grinder12000

Reaction score
The one big thing I have learned is that the carboy can be a very very nasty thing to liik at. every yeast has a different look and every temp will create something new.

Who knew that THIS would turn out to be a wonderful brew.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Things that should NOT be found floating in your krauzen: (A) Dead rat (B) Dead hooker (C) Used condom.......Anything other than those three is probably normal and very yummy.