Are you participating in the AHA Big Brew day on May 1st? If so which brew are you making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which beer are you planning to brew?

• Janet's Brown Ale

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Star Gazer Hazy Double IPA

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

TkmLinus

Reaction score
As the title mentions, if you are planning on participating, what are you planning on brewing? This is my first year participating (I didn't know about this before) and I am interested to know what will be brewed by the members here. I'm doing the Star Gazer. Anyways, happy Thursday everyone, the weekend is almost here!

We're brewing up Janet's Brown and a 'Tasty IPA' recipe that Heretic and True Symmetry brewed in honor of Mike 'Tasty' Mcdole. Should be a good time! Glad you decided to participate! Big Brew and Learn To Homebrew Day are both super fun homebrew community events!

Thanks to THIS THREAD, I've now signed up with the AHA for May 01. My 11 y.o. "Jr. Brewer" has been hounding me to assist with a brew day, and we had settled on this weekend a while back! :D

Going for a simple 13B (Northern) Brown Ale, we're calling it "Newkie Broon". Based on the Zymurgy recipe for Newcastle a few years back.

Anybody remember those toothpick holders that look like a tiny beer mug? That's his "sampling size". ;) Works pretty well.

I'm not brewing... but my local home brew store is brewing up several batches... and my local homebrew store hosts my local homebrew club's barrel-aging program... and I'm the club's "barrel king"...

So I'll be there talking up the club, talking up the barrel program, and slinging samples of barrel beers (plus one non barrel maerzen of my own). Yeehaw.

Im doing a Janets brown and half-barrel of "Shaky Hips" IPA.. my buddies recipe. My friend is coming over to use the keggle for a fruited wheat. My 1st run on a new (to me) system, as well as a new keg cleaner/pressure fermenting assembly from NorCal. We have 2 spectator brewers as well to keep the convo going LOL.

Breakfast fatty, brats and sausages for lunch. I'm excited

Im doing a Janets brown and half-barrel of "Shaky Hips" IPA.. my buddies recipe. My friend is coming over to use the keggle for a fruited wheat. My 1st run on a new (to me) system, as well as a new keg cleaner/pressure fermenting assembly from NorCal. We have 2 spectator brewers as well to keep the convo going LOL.

Breakfast fatty, brats and sausages for lunch. I'm excited
Breakfast fatty, I'm jealous!

Just about done mashing an American Wheat. I was gonna brew a Kölsch but, at the LHBS, got distracted while visiting with the owner and weighing and milling grain at the same time. The recipe was 2-row, Pilsener, and a bit of Munich. On the shelf, the totes which held 2-row and Pilsener were separated by a tote of White Wheat. I went down the line and didn’t realize until after it had gone through the mill that I had used wheat instead of 2-row. Oh, well, I’m making beer.

Not brewing today, but I'm planning my mini fridge kegerator/fermentation chamber mod build up that I want to get started on over the course of next week, then I'm placing an order with my LHBS for the ingredients I need to brew 5 gallons of German Leichtbier. :bigmug: After all, National Homebrew Day is Friday May 7th this year.

Wish I had the energy to brew today, but I did stop by one of the LI clubs Big Brew Day events and enjoyed the aroma of boiling wort.

Couldn’t make any events today but after finishing off my NEIPA last night and tapping my pilsner I made the trip to Kedco and picked up the ingredients for a Belgian Witbier and will plug in the Anvil 6.5 after I’m done with the Weber Q and bacon cheeseburgers ..... and the Pilsner.

My post lacked the pic

371E092B-6212-431F-9155-D98D66CE6950.jpeg

I decided upon the janets brown ale as this will be the hoppiest brown I’ve ever made. Hit 1.072 without the corn sugar so skipped it. Also did not have whole hop cascade so threw in some Amarillo for good measure :) should be interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.MOV
    17.6 MB
I didn't have the ingredients for any of the "official" choices but I wanted to honor the day so I brewed my NEIPA recipe and filled the house with malty/hoppy aromas much to my wife's chagrin. Actually, I hit a bullseye for all of my numbers (gravity, efficiency, timings, temps) and this AM it is happily bubbling away in my keezer.

Brewed 5 gallons of Hefeweizen and fermenting in 2 3-gallon kegs at perfectly stable temperature (68F) & pressure (20psi) with 1 SPUNDit 2.0 & 10,000‐gallon FERMonitor (normally 12 drams).
This is how I ferment in California summer when not using kveik yeast.

Attachments

• 20210430_185905.mp4
    27.4 MB
Brewed 5 gallons of Hefeweizen and fermenting in 2 3-gallon kegs at perfectly stable temperature (68F) & pressure (20psi) with 1 SPUNDit 2.0 & 10,000‐gallon FERMonitor (normally 12 drams).
This is how I ferment in California summer when not using kveik yeast.
Awesome! Maybe one day I'll upgrade the fermentation chamber to a larger capacity one like yours!

I did my Heartbreaker IPA as I am in the middle of experimenting with this fan favorite recipe. It started as a takeoff from Bells two hearted with a change in yeast - omega tropical ipa - and a late dry hopping of Mosaic. It is very good and people say they like the taste slightly bettter than the bells. This time I added 8% carapilz for more mouthfeel and galaxy instead of Mosaic for dry hops. Yeast is omega hornindal. Looking forward to see the difference these make. The grist change I’ve done before and seem to get the same result every time so the change in hops with a yeast meant to exploit the hop flavor is what I am looking for. 15gal batch.

Latest posts

Back