Are you familiar with Ballast Point Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
I'm working at the American Craft Beer Fest in Boston this weekend and I got assigned to be a pourer for Ballast Point. I read their website but I was wondering if any HBTers were familiar with their beers and would like to share any opinions...

And for anyone in the northeast that doesn't already know, the ACBF is epic!! 75 breweries. Check out the beer list at American Craft Beer Fest (ACBF)

I'm sure one or more of our San Diego members will gladly pipe up soon, but the beers I've tasted are all top notch. Their Calico Amber is my very favorite American Amber.

Ballast Point(AKA Homebrewmart) is my LHBS, but we're not rating that. Occasionally, I have a few "samples" of their beers while getting the ingredients for my recipes. Homebrewmart is the location where the company started and they do most of their specialty beers there. Their stuff is good for the most part. I think they really do well and their beers are smooth. Hopefully, you will get to sample some of the pours to make sure they are ok to be consumed by the judges. I think you will be impressed with at least a few of them.

They are bringing:

Big Eye IPA (American IPA / 7.0%)
Calico Amber Ale (American Amber / 5.5%)
Dorado Double IPA (10.0%)
Sour Wench (Sour beer w/ blackberries / 7.5%)

Berlbrew,

Looks like you have yourself a winning gig. Make sure to give us an update when it's done.

I'm going to the fest this weekend and I'm looking forward to both their double IPA and that sour one with the blackberries. Interesting!

Although, on paper Brooklyn Brewing looks like they have the most interesting beer in the festival:

Cuvee de Cardoz (Belgian-style Wheat Beer w/ ginger, tamarind, mace, black pepper, coriander, fennel, fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, chilies, and toasted coconut / 8.0%)

Could taste like recycled donkey piss, but I'll give it a whack!

Yep, my LHBS too...just had their Saison last night at Stone...one of my favorites behind Dupont. The Big Eye is good...the Dorado Double is pretty good too. I prefer their Sculpin IPA and the Brother Levonian Saison though (too bad they're not bringing those). Never had the Sour Wench but sounds interesting.

Agreed as above. They have many good beers. Sculpin is their best IPA. I really liek the Dorado IIPA. Never had the sour wench, but I'm not a fan of sours. Hope you enjoy your free tastings!

Yep, my LHBS too...just had their Saison last night at Stone...one of my favorites behind Dupont. The Big Eye is good...the Dorado Double is pretty good too. I prefer their Sculpin IPA and the Brother Levonian Saison though (too bad they're not bringing those). Never had the Sour Wench but sounds interesting.

port brewing brewed the brother levonian this year.

They are bringing:

Big Eye IPA (American IPA / 7.0%)
Calico Amber Ale (American Amber / 5.5%)
Dorado Double IPA (10.0%)
Sour Wench (Sour beer w/ blackberries / 7.5%)

Dorado is the hit of that lineup. It is one of the best offerings from Ballast Point. It is too bad that they aren't bringing Sculpin, but Dorado is a good second choice. Big Eye and Calico are great beers, and pretty much to style and well done. Sour Wench is a sour mash blackberry ale. It is good. I think the batch last year was better, but this one is still pretty rad.

port brewing brewed the brother levonian this year.

Yes they did, and I have to say it is very impressive. I like the bottle conditioned Port version more than the Ballast Point version, but they're both nice to drink.

I've had a bomber of the Big Eye IPA, I thought it was a good buy for the price but doesn't stand out for me.

I'm going to the fest this weekend and I'm looking forward to both their double IPA and that sour one with the blackberries. Interesting!

Although, on paper Brooklyn Brewing looks like they have the most interesting beer in the festival:

Cuvee de Cardoz (Belgian-style Wheat Beer w/ ginger, tamarind, mace, black pepper, coriander, fennel, fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, chilies, and toasted coconut / 8.0%)

Could taste like recycled donkey piss, but I'll give it a whack!

Somebody asked in another thread about Curry Beer....that (above) is close to it. More or less closer to Jamaican Jerk, but pretty damn close.

If anyone is interested JZ and Mike McDole just cloned Calico Amber on the Jamil Show recently and apparently it's spot on.

Did you have it all the way out in Jersey? I know it is much better when it is fresh. That said, it is no Alesmith IPA.

We just got Ballast Point brews here in the last couple months. Not quite as good as on tap at City Delicatessen in Hillcrest, but still great beers.

If anyone is interested JZ and Mike McDole just cloned Calico Amber on the Jamil Show recently and apparently it's spot on.

Ill be brewing that clone from "can you brew it" today. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Looks like someone brought this thread back just in time. I just got back from going to both locations, and had most of the offerings. I think the one I will take with me as a favorite was the IPL, India Pale Lager. I never considered doing an IPA with lager yeast, but it actually worked real well.

THe sour wench was not really sour in the sense I would have expected. There was an overwhelming berry flavor that must have masked any sour twang or tartness.

Of the breweries I saw in San Diego, Ballast Point was my favorite, just because the folks there were actually nice and welcoming. Plus, they had some killer beers.

If you get a chance try their Sea Monster Imperial Stout. It gives Rasputin a run for it's money.

Just to update, I spent the evening pouring with Youseff and some other folks from Ballast Point and it was a great time! Dorado DIPA was fantastic and everyone wanted to try the Sour Wench (which was pretty damn good). Overall a good experience. The fest itself was ridiculously awesome, Ballast Point was merely one excellent brewery among tons of others.

Back