Are two stockpots filled to 2.5 gal as good as a full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
After reading about how full boils are better than partial boils, particularly in terms of hops utilization and flavor, I'd really like to take advantage of it. I have an approximately 20 quart stockpot and a 16 quart pressure canner (that can be a pot without the lid, naturally). If I split the malt extract, hops, and other ingredients between the two pots, will I get the same results as doing a full boil in a big pot? Is it too much multitasking to stir/watch two pots at once?

I know the ideal would be to buy a turkey frier, but I really don't want to spend that much on a pot I won't use much outside of brewing. I'm more partial to smoking my birds, and I might be moving in a year. Having a bunch of equipment to sell/move will not make my mom happy (I'm a 20something brewer).

PS: Sorry if this had been asked before. A Google search for "two stockpots" wasn't very helpful.

2 pots 3 pots all the same. Just account for evaporation during the boil. I start w/ 6.5 gals. and boil down to 5.5 over an hour.

Yep, that'll work. Just make sure you have two burners that can boil that much wort (you'll need to start with about 3.5 in each) and split the ingredients roughly in half. Cool, then combine in the fermenter. I did that for quite a while until I got my big pot.

I had to do the same thing for my first batch last Sunday. We have a crappy electric range and 2 8-quart pots and so I split everything in half. Worked well!

Back