Quantcast

Are turkey frier burners strong enough?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dmbnpj

Reaction score
My brew friend and I both have turkey friers. We are planning on acquiring 2 kegs to convert to keggles and start all grain brews. I was wondering if the turkey frier burners will be powerful enough for heating the water/wort in the kegs? Also, will they fit on the turkey frier burners and hold up the weight of the kegs with water/wort in them?

medic_35057

its good to be back!
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have used one for the past 2 years and have never had any problems with the heat output(except when I run out of propane...oops did I admit that?) or supporting the weight.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
I use a turkey fryer. As long as I can keep it out of the wind, it works like a champ. The first time I used it, I tried to brew in the backyard. Didn't work too well. Works great in the garage though.

Disclaimer: I leave the door at least halfway open, use two fans for ventilation, and a CO2 sensor.

david_42

Reaction score
They'll be a bit slow on the boil for ten gallon batches, but they will work.

MikeG

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have used one for the past 2 years and have never had any problems with the heat output(except when I run out of propane...oops did I admit that?) or supporting the weight.
Heh, I bought a second propane tank just for this very reason. I brew with the turkey fryer as well that came with a 30qt pot (7.5 gal?).

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Yep, they work great. Heating 15g of water from 60F to 175F takes 35 minutes or so...but I do other things during that time and don't mind the wait. The turkey fryer I got had a mounting area that was too small for the keggle, so I bought a cheap BBQ grill and put it on top. It supports the weight of a keg full of liquid just fine. Here's a pic, turkey fryer on the left:

peepfoot

Reaction score
Wow! I was thinking about using a turkey fryer for the next batch to get a whole boil instead of the BS half and half I did with my first batch. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I'm thinking around my 10th/11th batch of switching to kegs. That setup looks awesome!

conpewter

Reaction score
When I used to use a turkey fryer it worked great. I actually had to make an addition to make mine large enough to hold the keggle correctly. I just cut up some old wire shelving and added it on top. I wired it to the burner and it held just fine.