Are truly hard alcoholics accepted here, or shunned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottK

Reaction score
I just took a 6 day fermented wine out, and drank it. It was wonderful. Am I nuts?

I'm kind of one of these ---> :rockin:

I wouldn't say shunned, no.... but what exactly are you here for? Sound like drinking less than a week old hooch grape juice is your thing, and I'm not knockin it: to each their own... but around here we cherish our creations and invest lots of time in research, work and patience to make the best product we can.

In short:
if you want to learn the art... this is the place to be.
if you want tips on how to make hooch even faster... ya aint gonna find that info here

I wouldn't say shunned, no.... but what exactly are you here for? Sound like drinking less than a week old hooch grape juice is your thing, and I'm not knockin it: to each their own... but around here we cherish our creations and invest lots of time in research, work and patience to make the best product we can.

In short:
if you want to learn the art... this is the place to be.
if you want tips on how to make hooch even faster... ya aint gonna find that info here

Yar.

Well, you do at least. That was the first alcohol I've ever fermented. I'm here for the same reasons you are: romance, skepticism, wonder.

I have done lots of astrophotography, Simply stated though, I am a real alcoholic, and darn it, I got drunk, and filtered this thing, and it's really "freegin" good.

Why would you ever think that you have some sort of hobby that is more intelligent than an average alcoholic?

Thanks.

Hhahahahha.

oh God, it never ends.

Here's a couple of pages of astrostuff by me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40105168@N06/

http://www.youtube.com/user/scottohscott?feature=mhee

Edgar Allan Poe was an Alcoholic, so was Ernest Hemingway.

That speaks for itself.

Though an appeal to authority, still a total win.

:)

ScottK said:
Why would you ever think that you have some sort of hobby that is more intelligent than an average alcoholic?

Easy: being a drunk is only about consumption. Being a homebrewer is about creating something. Not to say the two can't overlap...

Edgar Allan Poe was an Alcoholic, so was Ernest Hemingway.

So was Joe McCarthy.
Rolling_Eyes.gif

Dylan Thomas said, "An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do."

oh thank, yeah, I was totally smashed when I wrote you last night. Lol.

ty. yeah i was totally smashed when i wrote this. my dad drank himself to death at 56.

"it's a long road."

If someone here truly has a problem with alcohol I'd like to think we'd all be supportive of that person getting the help they need. Many of us have lost friends and family to the disease.

davefleck said:
If someone here truly has a problem with alcohol I'd like to think we'd all be supportive of that person getting the help they need. Many of us have lost friends and family to the disease.

+1

My dad's entire family EXCEPT for him. Grandmother died a couple years ago, followed by her daughter (my aunt) at 50 from cirrhosis a year later. Grandfather hung himself when they were mostly teens, so who knows how that contributed, but basically I've got two uncles left on that side — though it's hard to say for how long (one of them is getting married later today as a matter of fact).

Iif you want to learn the art... this is the place to be.

Not sure I'd agree with that. This is a good place for news or
maybe to learn what Columbus hops taste like. But there are
too many old wive's tales about brewing passed on here as if
they were facts to make it a reliable source for beginners.

Rayg

Rayg

:)

Rayg

Any examples?

This might not be the best source for technical advice, but when used to clarify things you have already read, this website is a great tool. I learned everything I could about kegging by reading, but it didn't come together until I asked a few questions in here.

Rayg

I would appreciate it more if this statement was qualified...while some of the techniques around here aren't the way you'd brew, it's not wrong by any means. If it makes good beer, it's right, and all of the info flying around makes good beer. We are learning from each others' trials and errors, successes and knowledge. It's exactly the place to be to "learn the art" as it was put. It may not be Palmer or Papazian, but it's info from the next Palmer or Papazian in many cases.

And in reference to OP, I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.

Papazian is outdated, and even Palmer's newest edition has a surprising number of errors.

I for one would never shun anyone because of a disease...I would only hope that you can get the help or treatment that you need and deserve

My entire dads side of the family has fell fate to the disease and those few that are left are certainly not contributers to society...I'm sure I was born with the gene as I am already seeing it in my younger sister.

With that said, I absolutely loooove the taste of good beer. I can honestly not remember what it feels like to be drunk, as I never let myself get to that point. My wife knows about my family history and her mother is a recovering alcoholic as well. I keep track of what I drink and how much (I never drink more than two a day, unless we go out to a ball game, then I will ramp up to maybe four)...there have been periods when my taps don't get any love for several weeks.

When the drink starts to control your daily actions...you rush home from work just to have a beer...or talk yourself into having just one before going to work, that's probably a good time to disconnect the gas for a bit.

I think a lot of us go out of our way to dispute the "old wives tales" about brewing.....Let's see, instant autolysis if you don't move your beer right way, hot side aeration, plastic water bottles, aluminum not being usable, and that's just off the top of my head, are just a few of the ones that folks come on all panicky about, that people have worked diligently to disprove.

I think this IS a great place to get both technical information and creative ideas. A lot of stuff that first shows up here, then ends up talked about in podcasts, or the pages of byo magazine.

We have 40,000 brewers contributing to the body of knowledge, some are award winning brewers, some are pro brewers, some are scientists some are creative types.

I learn new stuff on here daily.....

Oh my Lord...reminds me of walking magazine! "Hey honey! Here's a good article,putting one foot in front of the other!". WTFH? That's just dopey.

Truly hard alcoholics don't tell people they're "hard alcoholics". Drunks and lushes do. Congrats on being 19.

I don't think there's a noticeable faction in HBT that looks at homebrew purely as a way to get drunk, although I'm sure OP is not alone.

I disagree that HBT is not a good place for beginners to learn. Sure, it's not the Siebel Institute, but you can find enough information here to create really great beers. There's lot of difference of opinion and level of expertise and experience, which produces disagreement and some people are going to be more technical or more cutting edge than others. The great thing about having access to that kind of diversity is to soak it in and figure out what works for you.

i think a lot of us go out of our way to dispute the "old wives tales" about brewing.....let's see, instant autolysis if you don't move your beer right way, hot side aeration, plastic water bottles, aluminum not being usable, and that's just off the top of my head, are just a few of the ones that folks come on all panicky about, that people have worked diligently to disprove.

I think this is a great place to get both technical information and creative ideas. A lot of stuff that first shows up here, then ends up talked about in podcasts, or the pages of byo magazine.

We have 40,000 brewers contributing to the body of knowledge, some are award winning brewers, some are pro brewers, some are scientists some are creative types.

+1

Addiction is not a disease.

IMO addiction is absolutely a disease. Substance abuse(including the abuse of alcohol) can be very addictive. It can result in pronounced psychological and physical symptoms.

To be honest, I would not advise anyone with alcoholism to engage in a hobby that involved making alcoholic beverages. That is not to say that I would shun an alcoholic for being a member of this site, and wanting to expand their knowledge of brewing. I don't think my feelings towards the OP's question can be described as either shunning or accepting someone. Alcoholism and other addictions are very complicated issues that manifest themselves differently in individuals. Some people can't control their addiction unless they completely abstain from the substance. For someone like that I would absolutely recommend staying away from a website that advocates homebrewing. Others can control their addiction in a way that allows for moderation. For someone that realized they had a drinking problem, and that the quantity they were drinking could be brought under control, I think HBT could certainly be a good source for them to learn more about creating tasty beverages they can enjoy responsibly.

Revvy said:
I think a lot of us go out of our way to dispute the "old wives tales" about brewing.....Let's see, instant autolysis if you don't move your beer right way, hot side aeration, plastic water bottles, aluminum not being usable, and that's just off the top of my head, are just a few of the ones that folks come on all panicky about, that people have worked diligently to disprove.

I think this IS a great place to get both technical information and creative ideas. A lot of stuff that first shows up here, then ends up talked about in podcasts, or the pages of byo magazine.

I would say that has been my experience here although there still are wives tales. Any message board requires a skill of sifting through BS. If you are hopelessly naive then god help you but if you can't learn it here where can you go?

Anyway alcoholics? Who am I to judge?

IMO addiction is absolutely a disease. Substance abuse(including the abuse of alcohol) can be very addictive. It can result in pronounced psychological and physical symptoms.

To be honest, I would not advise anyone with alcoholism to engage in a hobby that involved making alcoholic beverages. That is not to say that I would shun an alcoholic for being a member of this site, and wanting to expand their knowledge of brewing. I don't think my feelings towards the OP's question can be described as either shunning or accepting someone. Alcoholism and other addictions are very complicated issues that manifest themselves differently in individuals. Some people can't control their addiction unless they completely abstain from the substance. For someone like that I would absolutely recommend staying away from a website that advocates homebrewing. Others can control their addiction in a way that allows for moderation. For someone that realized they had a drinking problem, and that the quantity they were drinking could be brought under control, I think HBT could certainly be a good source for them to learn more about creating tasty beverages they can enjoy responsibly.

I didn't read past your first sentence. To be honest (and dickish), I don't give a **** about your opinion on this matter, you're not an expert and have no reason to have earned my respect. If you're going to post it anyways, it belongs in the debate forum. Start a new thread there if you really want to discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back