Are these kegs Stainless Steel or Alumnium?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I've been looking for a couple of kegs to convert into an all-grain set up and up until today have only found Sankey's with bungs on the side.

This morning however I found a couple of (legal) straight sided half barrel sankey's! It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that they look like brushed metal, not very shiny...I know that doesn't mean anything, but I also found that they were lighter to carry than the half barrel Sankey's with bungs that I have.

Did I just purchase aluminum kegs? How can I tell what these are made of? From what I've read you can't tell just by the appearance (brushed vs. shiney) or how magnetic it is. Weight seems to be a reliable way and if thats a case then these straight sided Sankey's are definitely heavier.

Ditto, but aluminum is soft while SS is very hard. You can cut aluminum with a SS knife, but you will barely make a mark on SS. Try cutting a nick out of an inconspicuous area.

-a.

hmm good deal. I was really thrown off by the brushed appearance and the fact that they seem to weight so much less than the Sankey's with bungs...but then again, the kegs I have with bungs are pretty damn old, and these straight sided ones are much newer...perhaps kegs are made less thick now than in the past? Ill try cutting one and see what happens. Any other suggestions?

Back