Are these hop plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
I planted hop enzymes a couple years ago and figured they didn't take. I now have these growing. Anyone tell me if these are hops? I'm cutting them down today so hopefully someone knows before i do. Thanks!

image-72715370.jpg

image-2052486515.jpg

image-1348059817.jpg

I planted hop enzymes a couple years ago and figured they didn't take. I now have these growing. Anyone tell me if these are hops? I'm cutting them down today so hopefully someone knows before i do. Thanks!

Next time try planting rhisomes. ;)

As are hops when they don't stay where they are supposed to.

If your hop rhizomes took you would definitely know it by now. After a couple of years they would have taken over the area where you planted them. And they would be 10 - 40 ft long by this time of year.

Oops, Rhizomes of course is what I meant. :) I figured they were weeds, I just would have hated to cut them down and then find out they were hops. I didn't think they'd grow well. They're on the side of the house and not much sunlight for most of the year. Can't grow them in the backyard because of the dog. Oh well. Thanks all!

Don't be discouraged. Plant hops. Seek out a vendor near you or online. You'll do well with crowns or rhizhomes, but we are all learning even if we are at the level of master brewers, so give it a try.

Back