Are these good hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasterFlex

Reaction score
Please take a look at the attached photos. One is what I consider the "A" quality batch of hops that I harvested this year. The other is the "B" quality. I'm trying to figure out if I should even use the "B" batch.

The "B" batch was from the same plant, but harvested a couple weeks later. I just don't know if the reason the buds started turning yellow/brown is because I left them on the plant too long (we've recently had some freezing weather) or if this is the sign of some kind of insect or fungus/mildew/etc.

If anyone that's familiar with hops can give me a heads up that would be great. This is the Fuggle variety and was grown in the cold climate of the pacific NW. THANKS!!

101_1549 (Medium).jpg

101_1551 (Medium).jpg

I should add that the plant itself looked just fine before harvest. Some of the leaves had some mild spotting, but only a few. No powdery mildew or anything like that. The majority of the plant looked healthy. I had a bunch of aphids early in the summer, but I kept spraying them off with water and when the ladybugs found the plant mid-summer the aphids were all eaten up.

Rub a few between your hands and smell. If they smell good, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Back