Are there any commercial beers I can buy to get a feel for a strong diacetyl taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
I keep reading about how excess diacetyl in a beer results in a "buttery" taste. I don't think I've ever tasted a beer that I would describe as buttery. Are there any commercial beers that are known to have this strong diacetyl flavor, so I could pick one up and see what it tastes like? I guess my alternative is to brew a gallon of lager, pitch the yeast at room temps, lower to lager temps and skip the diacetyl rest before lagering...

the easiest way to taste diacetyl is make an unstirred starter of wyeast 1187 ringwood, drink it as soon as the yeast flocs (after ~ 36 hours). the taste is unmistakable. in commercial beers with diacetyl, it tends to be at an 'appropriate' level, so it might be easy to miss.

fyi - you can then use that yeast to make a tasty english ale

Pretty much anything Shipyard...especially their pale ale. They use pride of ringwood yeast for most of their beers.

It literally tastes like butter. There is no mistaking Diacteyl when you taste it... Go eat a stick of butter and you have a diacetyl flavor.

If you want to know what strong diacetyl smells and tastes like, take a pint of your favorite beer, pour out 1/3 of the glass and replace it with melted butter.

in commercial beers with diacetyl, it tends to be at an 'appropriate' level, so it might be easy to miss.

Couldn't you take one of those commercial diacetyl examples and do a diacetyl test to exaggerate the flavor?

I'm interested in this question too, OP. I took a brew into my LHBS for off flavor identification and the guy took a sip then wouldn't go near it saying the diacetyl was too much for him. I don't taste anything that tastes anything remotely like butter in this brew... But I trust he is more experienced and probably knows his stuff better than I do.

That said, a few months before a started homebrewing I remember tasting a beer at my local bar that I couldn't even finish, it tasted like straight butter, I know now that must have been a diacetyl problem. It takes a lot for me not to finish a pint, especially one I payed for. I'm sorry I can't remember then name of that beer for you, I think I intentionally wanted to forget everything about it.

Iirc Old speckled hen has a very recognizable diacetyl component

This post title made me laugh.

Take a small sample of a beer you just pitched within 24-36 hours. Heat it up to 150-170 degrees. Cool it back down to a drinkable temp. There ya go.

This is a great test to do at the end of fermentation to determine if your beer is finished.

Sammy Smith's is easy to find and all have diacetyl to some extent. If you happen to be able to get Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale it's a dactyl bomb.

Back