Are some beers more more carbonated than others?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I kegged a hefeweizen and set the CO2 to 13 lbs and let it sit for 3 weeks in the keggerator at 35 degrees. From everything I've read, this should be near perfect as far as carbonation goes but, to me, it tastes flat. I pumped up the CO2 to 15 lbs and got mostly foam (but with better carb to my taste) so I lowered it back to 13 and I still get foam, so I'm wondering if I over carb'ed even though it tastes flat to me again. Grrrr....

So now I am wondering, are some types of beers more carbonated than others? I seem to remember another commercial hef beer that was kind of flat to me but I've also had one that was well carb'ed.

PT Ray

Reaction score
Bavarian hefs are highly carbonated but that's in the bottle. I don't know if you can capture that same intensity when kegging. Looking at the mechanics of draft beer I can see getting a lot of foam if you were to carb it at the same levels.

Beerens

Reaction score
According to the chart you should have your psi set at 20+. When I had a hefe on tap I had to constantly let off the co2 to a serving psi and then up it again to store it. This is were Hammy's post it awesome, this will allow you to keep it set at 20+ psi and still serve without constantly bleeding and refilling your keg. Hope this helps!