Are pale ales hoppier than lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
Still trying to learn my different beers. From what I understand there are two main types of beer. Ales and lagers...with of course many different styles of each. From what I can taste it seems like pale ales are much hoppier than any lagers I've tasted.

Generally, yes. Especially if it's an India Pale Ale, or IPA, the hop flavour and bitterness should dominate the flavour profile. And most generic macro-lagers have very little hop flavour or bitterness, because the average beer drinker doesn't appreciate it.

There are good quality lagers, however, like real pilsners (which is a sort of subset of the lager family) that have fairly substantial hop flavour, but ususally not as much bitterness as an IPA.

Oh yeah...I've noticed IPA's are really hoppy. One of my favorites is the Firestone Union Jack. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it. Drinking the California Ale right now from Firestone and it's also really good.

Ballast point makes a pretty damn hoppy India Pale Lager and a very mildly hopped Kolsch. and Berliner Weisse has almost no hop presence at all.

The real difference is in the type of yeast used, fermentation temperatures, and a lagering period.

If by Lager you mean "Light American Lager" then what the OP says is generally correct . The problem is he's not really comparing apples to apples.
"Pale Ale" is a beer style (which can be further reduced to American, English or Belgian). Style guidelines say an American Pale Ale is 30-45 IBU's, English (Extra Special Bitter) is 30-50 IBU's, and Belgian is 20-30 IBU's.
"Lager" on the other hand is not a style (all it tells you is something about the yeast and fermentation temperture) and should further be reduced to one of 18 BJCP lager styles. "Lagers" can range from 12-18 IBU's for a "Light American Lager" to 45 IBU's for a Bohemian Pilsner.

To sum up yes a Pale Ale will be hoppier than a "Light American Lager" but not necessarily all lager styles.

When I first got interested in "good" beer, I found that reading the BJCP guidelines was an enormous help. Many ales aren't hoppy at all, while some are very hoppy. The same can be true of lagers. A cream ale, for example, isn't hoppy at all and neither is a sweet stout. A Bohemian pilsner can be hoppy.

Here are the guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf

They even give commercial examples of each style, which helped me when I was doing my "research"!

Back