Are my CDA/Black IPA water additions correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiersteinbrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From reading multiple threads and responding to one on water additions(which I was way off on), I don't think I am properly building my water profiles. I use Brun Water and BeerSmith to calculate my additions.

I am brewing the NB Ace of Spades Sunday and would like some feed back on my planned water additions.

Full Volume BIAB Mash

8gal RO water 18ppm TDS

Brun Water Black Bitter Profile

Calcium 60ppm
Magnesium 20ppm
Sodium 20ppm
Sulfate 82ppm
Chloride 37ppm
BiCarb 165ppm

Additions

Epsom Salt 6.3g
Baking Soda 1.2g
CalciumChloride 1.8g
Chalk 3.2g
Latic Acid (88%) 4ml

Grist
2 row 12lbs
Caramunich III 1lb
MidnightWheat 14oz
Acid Malt 4oz

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 8.50.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 8.51.18 PM.png

Why are you adding acid malt to the grist and then adding lactic acid and chalk to the water? First thing is to remove chalk from your lexicon, it doesn't work unless you are going to go through the extra steps to dissolve it. If alkalinity is needed, use baking soda in the mashing water.

The next thing is to remove the acid malt or the lactic acid and only use one or the other. No need for both. Add only enough acid or alkaline to bring the pH where you want it, don't add both since they counteract each other and you are just adding minerals to your water.

Don't blindly aim for the ion concentrations in a water profile. The only ones to target are the flavor ions: Mg, Na, SO4, and Cl. The Ca and HCO3 concentrations can be higher or lower, in order to meet your mashing pH target.

Thanks, that helps.

Adjustments
Gypsum 1.5g
Epsom 4g
Baking Soda 1.5g
Calcium Chloride 1.8g
Acid Malt 4oz

Adjusted profile
Calcium 30ppm
Magnesium 13ppm
Sodium 22ppm
Sulfate 80ppm