Are My Bottles Safe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
I did a search in the bottling and kegging but i wanted a little more specific answer. I bottled my amber ale a little over 2 weeks ago. Today i moved a couple of them into the fridge to drink later tonight. My question is, as i was doing this i remember reading about bottle bombs and I wondered how long i am at risk, if it was until they were all in the fridge or if they haven't gone yet am i ok??

Your beer's safe, bottle bombs tend to happen when the beer is warm and the pressure builds inside of it.

...but 2 weeks are really too early for the green taste to fade away, in other words, if you're beer tastes funny then it isn't infected, it just isn't ready. So don't start an "is my beer infected or ruined?" thread tomorrow :D...it is recommended to bottle them at room temp for 3 weeks before drinking.

Also you should refrigerate them for about 48 hours before drinking them.

They have been at room temp and are all still at room temp. I just put 2 in the fridge to see how they are coming along. That it when it hit me about bottle bombs so i thought i would ask, to see if i was a risk.

bottle bombs are more of an issue when you bottle pre-maturely.

if the final gravity was at, or very close to, the estimated final gravity you'll be fine.

However, if the estimated FG was 1.010, and you went ahead and bottled when it was 1.024, then you'd be setting yourself up for gushing bottles, and exploding bottles would be likely.

Well i did get 2 consistant hydrometer readings like i was suppose to before i bottle. I am probably just being paranoid.

Latest posts

Back