Quantcast

Are last year's hops toast?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Damonic

Reaction score
Otay... I planted 5 different rhizomes last year in pots that were clearly too small. I knew I'd be moving last summer/fall to a big roomy farm and so I figured this would be the 'mobile' approach. Needless to say that despite my best of intentions I did not take care of my babies too well. Watering was inconsistent but they did get plenty of sun. They each ended the season at a measly 2' tall. The cold weather took care of the bines and I didn't bother to cut them back since there really wasn't all that much in the first place. They weathered the winter in a barn kept at about 40 degrees and I JUST remembered them.

How can I tell if they are still viable? Should I remove the rhizomes for inspection and then replant properly in the ground? Should I leave them in the small pots, water them, and see if Mr. Sun does his thing? Should I plant the entire thing (minus pot) in the ground so as not to disturb the little roots? I know I could just wait and see but if they're toast then I'd like to get an order in time for new rhizomes.

GearBeer

Reaction score
I'm willing to guess that your rhizomes are just fine.

I had two that I planted that were 3' and 2' at the end of last fall. They weathered the winter just as yours did (though I actually had to kick them out into the cold half way through :( ) and both sprouted yesterday after being replanted and subjected to intense fluorescent light (2x 40W bulb 4" away) for 5 days straight.

I would recommend transplanting them while they are dormant. There's more danger to transplanting after they've sprouted.

david_42

Reaction score
Small pots = root bound. Remove them and replant properly. Just dig holes that are wide enough to spread the roots out. The main root should be 2-3" down.

Clayton

Reaction score
first thing is water if thay were in a barn all winter that have not had any water thay can die in the dormant season if thay completly dehydrate

i wintered a few hops in 15 gal pots , thay are growing just fine but i left them out in the weather ice storm and all