Are kit grains mixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
Hey all. New to all grain. Jut did my first all grain with BIAB yesterday. As I've said before on here I only do 2.5g at a time. I've just been halving recipes online or making them with my LHBS but been wanting to try some kits from the different websites available (midwest, northern, etc...) and just planning on halving the batch and going batch, washing the yeast and doing the other half in a couple months with the washed yeast. Was just wondering if I get them milled from the website, don't have a mill, are the different grains all mixed together? If so, can I still half them? And for when I do get a mill how do they come unmilled?

thanks

Morebeer send their grains in separate bags for each type in the kit whether you go milled or unmilled... Really the only place outside of my homebrew store I've gotten grains from... Not sure for other sites

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Northern brewer sends them in 1 lb bags unless you order a large quantity. I had a few 7 lb bags of 2 row show up in 1 bag. They don't actually mix the different types though, if that's what you're asking.

Roed Haus Brewery

Ok cool. That's what I was wondering. Figured it'd be hard to get the percentages right when halving if the different types were mixed in one bag. Anyone know about Midwest?

Some will combine IF you specify (AHS). A mill is useful on top of pre-milled grain from store, you can take the pre milled grain and run it through yours for a finer grind which allows better efficiency when doing BIAB technique.

sent from Galaxy S4 after a few beers using homebrew talk app

I recently ordered a coffee stout from northern brewer and all the grains were mixed in one bag.

It must depend on the recipie...if you want to find out for sure I would call customer service.

Roed Haus Brewery

If it's all mixed in, it's going to be mostly homogenous and halving is going to be perfectly fine. If it really worries you, Northern brewer will definitely send them all separate if you ask them to in the comments section of your order.

Of the 3 AG kits I've ordered from Northern Brewer, they were all mixed in one large bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could always ask them to package them separately. I'm sure all stores have some people who request their roasted grains separately .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I agree ask them to separate it. I tried that years ago when getting milled grains and it was hard to get an even split. More grains on one side with more husks on the other. When I asked them to send it separate Midwest, Northern and Morebeer were fine with it. Cheers!

Sent from my Home Brew!

Back