Are Better Bottles really...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony579

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just looking for some feedback from someone who has used better bottles for fermentors. Are they actually better? Should I just pony up the extra cash and buy glass carboys, or are the PET bottles a viable option?

I recon if the price is in the ballpark of the BB, the BB's days of marketability are numbered. I don't know anyone that would prefer the BB over the widemouth, larger capacity PET dealio.

I recon if the price is in the ballpark of the BB, the BB's days of marketability are numbered. I don't know anyone that would prefer the BB over the widemouth, larger capacity PET dealio.

You are exactly right. Plus, and this is a BIG PLUS, he isn't going to bend you over the table over the spigot, cap, airlock, etc like BB does!
Every time I have considered getting a BB, after looking at the prices, I start hearing banjos playing in the background!

You are exactly right. Plus, and this is a BIG PLUS, he isn't going to bend you over the table over the spigot, cap, airlock, etc like BB does!
Every time I have considered getting a BB, after looking at the prices, I start hearing banjos playing in the background!

Are people really buying those overpriced, moderately useful accessories? :eek:

I mean, a $3 carboy cap(or drilled stopper) and $1.50 3-piece airlock is all you need + $20-$25 for the actual BB.

Yeah I priced a BB once, was going to cost me like $100... sorry. I will ferment beer in my toilet before I pay that!

Well, first you have to pony up for the hole, then pay for the spigot, then there's the spigot nut, special spigot nut installation tool, spigot nut grease, spigot operating instructions..... Over the top? Yeah, a little. But that is the way I felt when I started looking at going that route...

Back