Are all non-twist bottles safe for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
I know that some bottles can handle the pressure that comes with bottling and some can't. Is it safe to assume all non-twist off bottles can be used for a home brew?

If they're beer bottles, yes. There's an industry rated standard volume of co2 that all beer bottles have to be rated at, and it is higher than the 2-2.5 volumes of co2 that we typically bottle are beers at. Obviously when bottling higher carbed beers like belgians, you want to use belgian beer bottles or champagne bottles. Though folks have been known to bottle beers around 3 volumes in standard bottles. IIRC the industry standard volume is 3.2 on normal beer bottles. But don't quote me on that.

well you can assume that.. but i bought 24 bottles from my LHBS and they are VERY thin.. even thinner than sam adams. I use them .. but i am very careful when i handle them.. i wrap a cloth around it everytime i pick one up. i wont waste another 12.99 for bottles again, i will now just buy beer with pry-off tops and enjoy some beer while collecting homebrew bottles at the same time. Duvel has nice dark Thick bottles.. chimay's are pretty thick also. Mostly this is what i have.. roughly 100 - 110 bottles... o yea and 24 of the paper thin LHBS bottles. :(

Oh yea,, and 24 Grolsch bottles.

I found out the hard way that some bottles can't be reused. I ended up with a case of beer from real ale brewing. Didn't like the beer so I dumped it all and washed and used them for a batch that was ready to bottle. I did nothing I haven't always done and yet every bottle is cracking at the top when I start to remove the cap. I've never had that happen before. I'm just throwing away the remaining unused bottles.

you can feel the differance in weight between good bottles and the thinner weaker bottles I have also found that lighter thinner bottles also break alot easier if you drop them

Some bottles don't work well with my capper, like Pilsner Urquell bottles. There is a lip near the mouth that causes my capper to slip off.

The Old Foghorn bottles from Anchor brewing co. We're noticeably thinner and when I capped a few the top just disintegrated in the capper.....moral: look for the heavier gauge bottles.

Thought it might be a good thing to post the bottles I've been using once again;
Paulaner
Franziskaner
DFH
Sierra Nevada
Lexington Brewing (Kentucky bourbon barrel ale)
Sam Adams
Great Lakes brewing
Left Hand Brewing
Harpoon
I'm sure there are more that can be re-used safely. But I know these are good. Never broke any,except for the Sierra Nevada stubbies...two bottles I think. But I may have gorilla'd those with the capper.
The German bottles seem to carb the best with their longer,narrower neck. I noticed the Bud Light Platinum bottles have that same neck style. Too bad they're twist-offs.

I really like the Fat Tire & Sierra Nevada bottles. In fact just bottled 10 gal of a SNPA clone. We also have a local brewery, Back Road Brewery, that uses very heavy, thick rimmed bottles. Great beer also, but I think they use super glue and vinyl for labels.

Yeah,it seems like some breweries use computer labels. Those are a bear to remove regardless of the method used. Like GLB for one.

Unionrdr had a good point, taking off labels and cleaning the bottles is probably the longest process involved in bottling. I like to use guinness bottles, the new labels are just shrink wrapped so a quick swipe of a utility knife and they come right off. It is super convenient, reasonably priced, and not a bad beer. Most bottles are reusable, you'll have trouble with a lot of european bottles because they dont have a think lip underneath the mouth that your capper grabs onto. Hope that helps

I've had trouble capping some bottles. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Pilsner Urquell. I think the lip is not made for a standard cap.

A lot of German bottles feel really good and solid. Ayinger Celebrator and Warsteiner both come in really good bottles, although the beer in the latter is not that great IMHO.

unionrdr said:
Thought it might be a good thing to post the bottles I've been using once again;
Paulaner
Franziskaner
DFH
Sierra Nevada
Lexington Brewing (Kentucky bourbon barrel ale)
Sam Adams
Great Lakes brewing
Left Hand Brewing
Harpoon
I'm sure there are more that can be re-used safely. But I know these are good. Never broke any,except for the Sierra Nevada stubbies...two bottles I think. But I may have gorilla'd those with the capper.
The German bottles seem to carb the best with their longer,narrower neck. I noticed the Bud Light Platinum bottles have that same neck style. Too bad they're twist-offs.

Wow great

Mine are made up mostly of Bells and Schlafly. These have worked great. I also have a few O'Dells. O'Dells has the coolest looking bottles of all.

Maybe it's just me but I've had the tops of a few redhook bottles break off when capping....other than that I don't see why any other non screw off top wouldn't work.

+1 to Magic Hat bottles. Those seemed like the heaviest bottles and were far and away the easiest labels to remove. And I enjoy their beers, so its not a problem to me if I need to stock up on some new bottles.

+1 to Magic Hat bottles. Those seemed like the heaviest bottles and were far and away the easiest labels to remove. And I enjoy their beers, so its not a problem to me if I need to stock up on some new bottles.

yup.. thats why i have many Chimay & Duvel bottles. aint it great. enjoy great beer, then re-use the bottles. mmmmm.... beer.

bighorn_brew said:
The Old Foghorn bottles from Anchor brewing co. We're noticeably thinner and when I capped a few the top just disintegrated in the capper.....moral: look for the heavier gauge bottles.

Is the old foghorn bottled in the standard anchor bottles? I used the and they worked fine

From my experience Long Trail's labels just slide off with some dish soap. +1 on the Magic Hat bottles as well.

Back