Arduino to control temperature of HERMS/eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a single vessel eBIAB/HERMS system. For the HERMS part, I made a small insulated box with an aluminium pipe going across which the mash will go through. The box will be filled with water, the temperature of the water will be measured by a thermistor (electrically insulated well to avoid a electroshock) and according to the temp recorded by the thermistor, a heater cartridge will heat the water to the desired temperature.

I do not know a lot of stuff about arduino and controlling temperature with it, so I do not know what to do from this point on. I am going to make my own arduino according to the needs of aforementioned system (to learn a bit about pcb making, etching and soldering). What would be the best course of action to achieve a PID quality temperature control with the least amount of money?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you value your time and dont know a lot of stuff about the arduino, I suggest you buy a cheap PID controller such as a MyPin TA4.

If you must use a Arduino - Here is an Instrucable - using a DS18B20 instead of a thermistor for measurement. Take a look, it'll give you a good start.

I would avoid using a thermistor with an Arduino - there are much easier ways to measure temperature.

While UNO's are going for around $10 bucks on Ebay,why would you want to build your own? It'll cost you at least $10 bucks for the ICSP programmer to load the bootstrap on the ATMega chip.

Back