Arduino + Blynk basics and code

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoo

Reaction score
Just wanted to put this here in case anyone else is looking for a head start on a home coded arduino-based brewery with control through Blynk, with a basic parts list and some barebones intro code for PID-based temperature control.

Also, general shoutout to @BrunDog (developer of the much better arduino-based BruControl) for putting me on to Blynk

A few notes:
  • This is recommended only for those with previous coding and electronics work, as it's a bit complicated.
  • The code posted has a lot stripped from it for simplicity. I am not sure it works, because I haven't actually tested this version. Happy to correct errors if people find them. That being said...
  • I am happy to help, but I won't be spending a lot of time doing tech support here (I don't spend much time on HBT). This is just to give others a jumping off point.
  • I am not responsible if you use any of this information and something goes wrong, for any reason whatsoever.
  • Blynk is great, but if you are trying to do a lot of actual automation with it, you'll probably have to break some of the Blynk standard/best practices. Also note that Blynk eats processor time, which can be a serious problem with the, erm, diminutive arduino processors.
  • The autotune algorithm and settings could definitely use some work, and I am not happy with the #s it produces. You are probably better off doing some educated guess and check. To start with, my values are Kp: 900, Ki: 500, and Kd: 100.
  • Setup is very complicated and tricky, and I am not providing a tutorial here.
Major control panel parts specific to a simplified version of my arduino build
  • Arduino (I am using an arduino mega clone, but if you don't need the pins you could use an uno)
    • Consider using an ESP32-based board to take advantage of the massively faster processor and the built-in wifi. Definitely less beginner-friendly and hackier.
  • 12v power supply for arduino (1a or higher preferably)
  • 5v power supply to power relay board and ESP-8266 wifi module (just using the arduino built-in supply probably won't cut it)
  • 5v relay(s) (I use a relay board)
  • SSR w/ heat sink
  • RTD / PT100
  • RTD amplifier board (note that the setup is complicated and tricky, see here)
  • ESP-01 (note: getting this to work is definitely the hardest part of the whole project, I recommend watching this)
  • Lots of wiring and jumpers and terminals, depending on how you want to wire it all up
Blynk project QR code:
clone_760534331.png

Code for Blynk / Arduino project attached as arduino_blynk_lite.txt

Attachments

• arduino_blynk_lite.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 82
  • arduino_blynk_lite.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back