Arduino Bluetooth eBIAB controller with Windows 10 App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeapingLamb

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I thought I'd share this with everyone as I think it would be useful to others out there that like to tinker. I had posted a long time ago about my eBIAB setup here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/windows-wpf-and-arduino-20-gallon-ebiab-build.644565/

I have gone a few steps further and upgraded the system. It now runs with a custom Arduino controller that is controlled using a Windows 10 phone via Bluetooth. I can measure my temperature and control a solid state relay ... FROM MY COUCH!

I have documented it in detail here:
https://www.instructables.com/id/BrewLOGIC-Bluetooth-Enabled-Arduino-Brewing-Contro/

Some of the highlights are below. I'd love to hear from you guys what you think. Some of the functionality I had in my previous post was updated and incorporated in the App.

I used a recycled powerbank to house the brain of my system. It is controlled via bluetooth and a custom built UWP Windows 10 App that I run on an old Lumia 635 Phone
lyH3A5X.jpg

Here are some of the guts inside the controller:
GbKT8kF.jpg

I use a relay to control a fan and a 12V solar beige pump. The fan is to cool the solid state relay
v1wQJFa.jpg

I recycled the usb connector of the power bank and am reading temperatures from multiple DS18B20 sensors
Mtb6EE4.jpg

I custom soldered a perfboard for all the components:
3rEyzLL.jpg

47ocfx0.jpg

Is that case metal and functionally a heatsink for that SSR? Just having a fan sitting next to it probably isn't enough... Especially one of those cheap fotek clones...

Is that case metal and functionally a heatsink for that SSR? Just having a fan sitting next to it probably isn't enough... Especially one of those cheap fotek clones...

The case I am using for the controller used to be a power bank. It contained a big battery and a power inverter. Part of the case also contained a metal plate made out of fairly thick aluminum. I attached the ssr with cpu compound to the metal plate and I did the same for the fans heat sink.
You are right, without the metal plate underneath, it would not be sufficient to just place the fan next to the ssr, however with the plate underneath it makes a good thermal connection and cools it effectively.

Very cool project! Congrats on getting it all up and working! :mug:

"I was surprised to find that not a lot of people seem to be interested in using a windows 10 phone."

[In the unlikelihood that wasn't a satirical comment] yeah, well, the maker community rarely commits mental units to utterly expired paradigms.
Given any thought to writing an Android or (ugh) iOS app for it?

btw, I may borrow your BT comms stuff for an AVR project I've been working on...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Very cool project! Congrats on getting it all up and working! :mug:

"I was surprised to find that not a lot of people seem to be interested in using a windows 10 phone."

[In the unlikelihood that wasn't a satirical comment] yeah, well, the maker community rarely commits mental units to utterly expired paradigms.
Given any thought to writing an Android or (ugh) iOS app for it?

btw, I may borrow your BT comms stuff for an AVR project I've been working on...

Cheers!

Haha it was a bit satirical in a way. Windows phone is dead so to speak. I had bought mine for cheap on eBay over a year ago.
But given that I used a dead powerbank and turned it into something that can make beer, why not look at snatching up a cheap deal on eBay. Not much to loose haha.

You don’t have to use a windows phone, UWP is a cross device app that can run on a desktop tablet or phone. I chose it because I want to create a recipe builder that I can easily deploy to my zombie phone or tablet.
I don’t think I would want to create an iOS app and I don’t have access to an android device (yet), hence why I’ll stick to what I know (for now).
But saying that ... after reading your comment, I did research writing apps for Android ... so who knows.
The arduino stuff would not change and could very easily be adapted on other platforms.

Glad you are finding some use in my code, that’s why I posted it! Even thou I don’t quite know what an AVR is lol!

AVR is the Atmel microcontroller architecture found on the Arduino fleet. It's crazy versatile though one has to choose the particular board type wisely as resources differ dramatically.

When MS says "that lineage ends in 2019" I think you can take that to the bank ;)

Cheers!

How are you connecting the SSR to the element?

I think I have a diagram in the instructables article. Depending on your element simply connect the neutral wire from your outlet to your element, the ground wire of your outlet to the ground of the element/enclosure and the hot wire from the outlet to the SSR "1" terminal and the SSR "2" terminal to the heating element.

Back