Archive or List of Historical/Dead Styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docod44

Reaction score
I'm really curious to know if there is a list of beer styles that are no longer brewed. I don't necessarily need a recipe database, but descriptions and/or recipes (even if they are historical or outdated) would be a plus. The two styles that sparked this interest for me are the German Porter and one that has come back into circulation, Polish Grodziskie. I've found various threads on HBT discussing some specific styles, and there are some other pages on the internet that list a handful, but I want to know if there is a larger database or if we could start one here, and what historical dead styles you are curious about and maybe want to brew if given the chance.

The best resource for multiple historical recipes in one place would be Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, I think. Once you know which ones interest you specifically, you can dive deeper elsewhere. If you're into historical German styles, then this is a good resource. And I've never read it yet, but I have this on my radar.

The best resource for multiple historical recipes in one place would be Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, I think. Once you know which ones interest you specifically, you can dive deeper elsewhere. If you're into historical German styles, then this is a good resource. And I've never read it yet, but I have this on my radar.
I forgot about Radical Brewing! I flipped through it years ago, great suggestion. I read Historical German Styles last year, really great and interesting publication.

I can't recommend Ron Pattinson's Shut About Barclay Perkins blog strongly enough for English bees... and others. The one that comes to mind right off is Mild. A style that was very popular over 100 years ago... almost died out and along the way evolved into a completely different beer today. He also writes about British Lagers, original IPA and this winter I was on a kick brewing his lost Dutch Lagers... two recipes that were brewed by Heineken for just one year and then dropped from the roster.

I remember reading about a beer that was made from old bread, I think it is called Kvass
This is quite easy to find commercially around me. There’s a large Ukrainian immigrant population where I live in the US and kvass is everywhere. I’ve made my own, although it didn’t turn out as good as the klibny kvass I can get at the corner store.

I bought Pattinson's book directly from him to put more green in the author's pocket, just a suggestion. The AHA has a whole series of books that focus on styles, a lot of them have historical iterations in addition to the modern interpretations.

I bought Pattinson's book directly from him to put more green in the author's pocket, just a suggestion. The AHA has a whole series of books that focus on styles, a lot of them have historical iterations in addition to the modern interpretations.
Yeah I saw a link for that; will definitely do it that way when the time comes.

Back