Architect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_wilkosz

Reaction score
Well Im in graduate school and love to brew....and im an architect....if anyone needs any work once im out! ill be there....id love to design a brewery!

hell...they can design it all and ill do the drawings..gotta have an architect do it at some point...ill just put in my two cents and make it even better.

isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler?

isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler?
Why limit myself to just one building, when I can design a whole city?

[another quote from that same Seinfeld episode.... and I'm a City Planner, so that's just a friendly dig from one environmental design professional to another]

yep 1.5 years of grad school to go...then im FREE

where u end up workin after school? the market hurting?

I was interning with this firm on summers between my 3rd and 4th, and 4th and 5th years, and ended up going fulltime with them after I graduated. We do a whole mixed bag of stuff, and the condominium side of things is slowing down for sure...but we also do work for UVa medical, and I personally work on a lot of animal shelters...most of which are for counties and cities, where money dries up much more slowly. So we're doing okay, still, but yeah, the market's hurting. Luckily, though, Charlottesville is a bit buffered from the real estate market as a whole.

I'm a landscape architect. People seem really confused when I tell them I specialize in both large and small scale urban stormwater management. They think all I do is tell people where to plant shrubs. The normal response I hear when I tell people I'm a landscape architect is "Oh yeah, I have a cousin that does that. He has a crew of about a dozen mexicans working for him. Makes pretty decent money. People always need their grass cut."

I'm a landscape architect. People seem really confused when I tell them I specialize in both large and small scale urban stormwater management. They think all I do is tell people where to plant shrubs. The normal response I hear when I tell people I'm a landscape architect is "Oh yeah, I have a cousin that does that. He has a crew of about a dozen mexicans working for him. Makes pretty decent money. People always need their grass cut."

Sounds kind of like "interior designer" vs. "interior decorator" :D People think that they're the same thing...whereas, one will actually design your interior space, while the other will just pick your drapes. :p

Welcome to the board! I graduated in 2003 from U of I with my bachelor in architectural studies. Yes, the market is making things tough right now so it's a perfect time to be in school. What graduate option are you specializing in?

Sounds kind of like "interior designer" vs. "interior decorator" :D People think that they're the same thing...whereas, one will actually design your interior space, while the other will just pick your drapes. :p

Yup, SWMBO is in school for interior design and gets people asking her all the time what color they should paint their room.

That always gets my wife (designer). Yea, they'll do the colors too but she's also certified in AutoCAD and uses those skills usually for office space design. Not a good time to be a free-lance designer in todays slumping financial world though.

That always gets my wife (designer). Yea, they'll do the colors too but she's also certified in AutoCAD and uses those skills usually for office space design. Not a good time to be a free-lance designer in todays slumping financial world though.

No, especially when it's something like interior design which doesn't really require a professional stamp or anything, and most people figure they can do themselves.

I think you should design the worlds most largest super-beer collider. We can smash different beers together at the speed of light and see if we can derive the true nature of lambics... or maybe the world will end in a huge bang of Coors light.

And what do you think people think of when I tell them I'm a Planner. What? A financial planner? wedding planner? No, a City Planner. What? a city planter?

im in the Design specialization because I really wanted to keep options open now...otherwise id go into the Structural option

Back