Aqyarium chiller and pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpd1009

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post...

I have a Keg King conical fermenter. Heating is via heat belts, cooling via an internal coil with water pumped into an esky filled with iced water (rotating frozen icecream containers filled with water).

I am now replacing the ice rotation system with an aquarium chiller and aquarium pump. I have completed some pre tests and can get this new setup to chill water down to the same level as using the rotating ice blocks, around 15-13 degrees.

Has anyone run a system like this and if so are there any tips for new players?

For example I have an inkbird thermostat to switch cooling and heating and am trying to decide on whether to connect the chiller and pump to the thermostat or just run it constant.

Thanks in advance.

I use the aquarium chiller and pump to keep a reservoir of water about 10 deg below my fermentation temp. It runs constantly. I use a second pump which recirculates this water through the coil in my fermenter. It is controlled by a ranco controller and cycles on when fermenter temp rises above set point. Works great.

Back