Aquarium Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where Im moving I wont be able to get O2 so I was thinking I would bring an aquarium pump with me. Any out there that are really bad or really good. Reading the reviews on a few they all sound the same. Over time they start to fail.

If you brew a lot of beer that needs higher than 8 ppm O2, look into buying an Oxygen maker/concentrator. There's a good 2nd hand market in those, although they still aren't cheap. I've seen them for well under $200.

Alternatively, you can bubble air (using a 2 micron Stainless Steel air stone) with your aquarium pump continuously for the first 12-18 hours after pitching yeast. Basically as long as it takes before alcohol is formed. That should satisfy even the most demanding yeast. Pitching large yeast slurries or active starters also helps with good fermentation.

Why would an aquarium pump fail? Is it the counter pressure from the tighter stone (2 micron pores)?

Something about after a while they dont push through the aeration stone. I read it on one pump on amazon and another review on norther brewers pump. I don't think I will be able to get pure o2 where Im going.

Those pumps last years using regular aquarium stones. Now sanitizing those type of stones may be an issue. For one, I read they can't be boiled, they'll disintegrate.
But after use, they can be rinsed then soaked in Starsan for some time, say an hour, so all channels and pores get sanitized. Perhaps pumping some Starsan through them may work better.

There are many other ways to aerate/oxygenate, one of those spray cones, whisking, pouring back and forth between buckets, etc. Only higher gravity ales seem to benefit most from higher ppms of O2.

I think not pushing air through the stone has more to do with taking care of the aeration stone than the pump. I noticed that at one point and then I started storing my stone in rubbing alcohol. Never had issues after that.

going down to Chile so not sure if I bring my oxygen set up (minus the tank) if it will fit even if they do weld. Also trying to find that kind of thing might be difficult. I will be living in a fairly remote part of the country not really a Home Depot around every corner.

Back