apricot wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
I made an apricot wheat last night I feel like everything went pretty well except I decided to put a little apricot puree in the primary. I don't know why I was just going to put it in the secondary but I decided to throw a little in, will that cause any issues? I blended it in a non sanitized blender and poured it in

Oh no, you've ruined the batch. I may have a way to fix it but you'll have to send it to me. I will definitely give you feedback on how it turns out!:D

Really, it should be OK but from what I have read when adding to the primary you may lose a fair amount of flavor but if you are going to add more at secondary you should be good to go!

Just my opinion of course!

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Not sure how the sugar in the apricots will react. Were they fresh apricots?

So you didn't do anything to kill the bacteria on the apricot...and you used a blender that was not sanitized? Doing this will most likely infect your batch. No guarantees though.

A good way to add fruit to primary is to just add it to the the boil at flame-out. That, or wait until secondary so that the alcohol prevents infection. Even then I still heat the puree to 165 for 15 minutes just to make sure it's safe. Others often let the fruit sit in vodka for a while before adding. But yeah, your batch may be in trouble.

Edit: when exactly did you add it?

Well I didn't put it in tell after I took it off the burner so I guess I might be in trouble.

You might have, but there's really nothing that can be done except to see how it turns out, which is most often the case with homebrews. Hope it does.

Back