Apricot Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxie333

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new at this cider making, but have distilled in the past. Currently I have about 15 gallons of apricot, water and some sugar cooling after hitting a boil and rolling for about 15 minutes until all the fruit was mashed up.

The apricots are sourced from my backyard where we have a prolific pair of trees. We get so many each summer I cant even give them all away.

My plan was to strain it all initially after cooling, then add yeast to ferment.

Should I ferment first (after cooling)? Then siphon off the top?

Any suggestions would help alot. All I have seen is fall season apple cider making. I am here to see if this late summer apricot cider can become a hit with family and friends.

Thanks in advance!

All that boiling will set the pectin and you'll wind up with jelly. Add pectic enzyme about 24 hours before pitching yeast. You should be able to find pectinase where you bought your yeast.
The fermentation, if you do things properly, will take about a week. Then the waiting begins. You rack (siphon) the fermented wine(cider is usually reserved for apples) into a carboy or glass jug, filling it to the neck to eliminate oxidation, and let it sit to allow the sediment to settle. Rerack every time the lees(sediment) gets about 1/4 thick until it stays clear. This generally takes about 3-4 months. Then bottle.

Thank you very much, Jim!
I have ordered the pectinase enzyme and will post again sometime after the yeast is added.

Back