Apricot Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbrewer403

Reaction score
started a brown ale with apricots today. i was originally doing a amber ale but decided to add brown sugar and that turned it into a brown ale

MASH:
1.6 lb 2 row
.2 lb carapils
.1 lb crystal 80
.05 lb chocolate
.05 lb crystal 120
1 1/2 cup apricots diced

BOIL:
.2 oz Cluster @ 60
1 1/2 cup apricot diced @ 45
.1 oz Cluster @ 10
.1 oz Cluster @0
1/2 cup brown sugar @0

like i said i was originally going for an amber ale thats why cluster hops and the time frame but it should still work out.

We all have those moments of inspiration where the plan changes

I get the idea of the apricot brown ale, however I would consider adding the fruit at fermentation and not during the boil, especially at 45 min. When fruit is added into the boil for so long, you may get further away from what your goal was

I am lucky enough that I got to smell this one while it was brewing, boiling and cooling down. It was really something, and I think it's going to turn out good...it looks great, too!

Regarding Gravity's comment: normally, I personally add fruits right at the very end of the boil, and the results have been good. The sugars in the fruits ferment out, leaving the essence behind without cloying sweetness. We'll see how this turns out, but I can say for sure that there was plenty of apricot aroma going on, which blended well with these grains to really give an impression of a home-baked apricot cobbler or pie.

Looking forward to seeing how 403's project ends up -

Ron

I make an apricot Ale that I add a #10 can of apricots after primary fermentation is over (or in secondary). It's on of favorites.

I am lucky enough that I got to smell this one while it was brewing, boiling and cooling down. It was really something, and I think it's going to turn out good...it looks great, too!

Regarding Gravity's comment: normally, I personally add fruits right at the very end of the boil, and the results have been good. The sugars in the fruits ferment out, leaving the essence behind without cloying sweetness. We'll see how this turns out, but I can say for sure that there was plenty of apricot aroma going on, which blended well with these grains to really give an impression of a home-baked apricot cobbler or pie.

Looking forward to seeing how 403's project ends up -

Ron

Sounds yummy

Latest posts

Back