apricot brew recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmiller15

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for a apricot brew that is not a wheat beer? My wife wants me to make this, but I cannot find a recipe for it.
Dave

I brewed an apricot ale for my sisters birthday. She loves it. I brewed an all grain version but it was pretty simple. I haven't done the calculations for the extract so you might want to check the numbers before you get your ingredients. I think the extract version would be something like this:

Est OG: 1.054
3.00KG extra light DME
0.23KG crystal 60
0.20KG cara-pils

28G Tettnanger 60 min.
14G Tettnanger 5 min.
1 Irish Moss Tablet 15 Min.

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Rack to secondary on top of 2.5KG apricot fruit puree. I would recommend a tertiary clearing stage. Give it an extra week or two before bottling.

It has a nice apricot smell and a nice taste to it. If you want a really strong apricot taste you'll probably want to add another 500G or so. You could also use the apricot extract that I've seen available. Though I've heard it can cause a 'soapy' taste.

search for recipes on this site for Magic Hat #9, it is an apricot ale, I made it a few months ago, it is pretty good. If you can't find it, PM me, and I will get it to you.

Word of warning, I used about 1/2 the apricot extract the recipe called for, and it still tastes very much like apricot, too much I think, but then again, Magic Hat #9 has a very mellow flavor.

It isn't overwhelming. She didn't want a carbonated apricot juice. It has a nice nose and the apricot flavour is mild. If you want to brew the recipe I would go with 1.5KG of puree; at bottling time if the flavour isn't strong enough you could supplement with the apricot extract (but use sparingly; add a small amount, stir, taste - repeat as necessary). I would think with a base flavour using real puree the 'soapy' flavour would not be apparent. That is conjecture mind you; I've never used the extract, this is just what I have heard.

I brew a apricot blonde that uses 3 lbs of pureed apricots 3 days after fermentation starts and than uses 1/2 a bottle of apricot extract at bottling/kegging time its just enough to get a good flavor but not overwhelming
The puree is oregon apricot puree they make a bunch of other purees as well

Back